Day-light or Night-light?

nataliaborecka

<p>Hello, <br>

I've been having a heated discussion over Mert and Marcus's latest editorial "What Lies Beneath" for Love Magazine: <a href="http://livelovelibre.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-lies-beneath.html">http://livelovelibre.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-lies-beneath.html</a> <br>

Aside from whether or not Mert and Marcus ripped off Jeff Bark's "Woodpecker" series (which they obviously did), the question is about how this dark, pre-raphaelite, moonlit effect was achieved. Do you think the scene was under-exposed daylight, or was it shot at night? I'm also very curious to know whether the scene is real, or a juxtaposition of various studio and non-studio scenes in photoshop. I would love to hear your thoughts! </p><div>00ZAwh-388833684.jpg.f53bdda2107596cb663aec2891c5d127.jpg</div>

<p>My first instinct is to reflect on the irony of nagging someone else about ripping things off while at the same time reproducing someone else's work here, without permission. Be sure to review this site's Terms Of Use (see the link at the bottom of every page on this site) about posting others' work. You can link people <em>to</em> other people's pages/content/photos, but not make copies of that work here.<br /><br />Another reason to provide a link to the work would be in the hopes of people seeing a large enough version of it to possibly answer your question. Can't tell what's going on in 500 pixels. I smell a complex composite and tons of post.</p>

<p>Agree with Matt's comments and Scott's strobe/ambient assesment. High angle strobe on the model image, low angle ambient on the swan image. Due to a HIGHLY unlikely juxtaposition of subjects and conflicting light/shadow angles (note shadow angle of swan to that of the figure on the far left), this image appears to be a complex composite. Even at 500 pixels, there appears to be evidence of photoshop artifact, note foreground female and the funky blue shadow banding, my guess would be a translucency issue with that particular layer. I'd venture a guess that the swan and the tree line were taken at a zoo. </p>

<p>I'm gonna venture a guess and say this was done in studio/movie set. That would allow them total control over all the lighting. Obviously, there is a lot of post work involved. How much compositing was done I can't say, though I'd say probably less then we think. Not sure why anyone would think the swan was shot in a zoo and then comp'ed in after... <br>

The film might help a bit: NSFW http://fashionslop.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/what-lies-beneath-film-by-mert-marcus-love-magazine-6/</p>