Getting idle

<p>Good afternoon and thank you in advance for your answers<br /><br />I have a EOS 40D. I have had the problem of the camera getting "idle" in the middle of a continuing action shooting. Suddenly lost response... battery indicator was full.. I turned on and off several times with out response... I have had to remove the bracket, take the battery off and put it back again more than once until the system weak up again... <br /><br />Has anybody experienced same problem? Also has happened with the 580 EXII.. In that case I have removed batteries and put them back again.<br /><br />Thank you for experiences...<br /><br />JC</p>

<p>From the 580EX II manual:</p>

<ul>

<li>

<p>To avoid overheating and degrading the flash head, do not fire more than 20 continuous flashes. After 20 continuous flashes, allow a rest time of at least 10 min.</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>If you fire more than 20 continuous flashes and then fire more flashes in short intervals, the inner overheating prevention function may be activated to make the recycling time about 8 to 20 sec. If this occurs, allow a rest time of about 15 min. and the flash will then return to normal.</p>

</li>

</ul>

<p>Are you flashing continuously?</p>

<p>I've had similar problems w/ my old XTi, I ended up figuring out that it was because of a bad battery --even though the indicator says the battery is full (sometimes a bad battery has higher voltage for Li-ion). I'd try using a different battery and seeing if you can replicate the problem. If you can't with another batt, you've found your problem.</p>

<p>Randall and Phil <br /><br />Understood!, Yes, I was flashing continuously, but not to a "high rate" so, I thought It could not be the problem... but I will pay attention to the "detail". I appreciate your inputs!<br /><br />Marcus and "Puppy face". <br /><br />My 40D is actually from Jan 2008, so I think you may have found the answer for me. I have a original 511 battery and a "generic" Targus... Interestingly, as you both mentioned., the power indicator shows full power... even though I have noticed shorter charge life... <br /><br />I do appreciate your time too.<br /><br />By the way, Puppy face, how has the sterlingtek worked for you? is it a good option? I am concerned about other brands and I have not heard this one before.<br /><br />Have a great day, you all! </p>

<p>I've had what you describe happen to me with my 40D also. I don't know what it is--I just take the battery out and it comes back on. It usually happens if the camera goes to sleep first. It isn't the batteries because I only use Canon batteries and maintain them well--throwing them out after about 3 years of use. I use them a lot because I shoot weddings every weekend. I've had third party brands, including Sterlingtek and they have not performed as others have claimed. Doesn't mean they won't for you--just doesn't work for me. I only buy Canon batteries.</p>

<p>I researched the problem online and found a few cases of other 40D owners having the same problem. I never found out what the problem actually is, however.</p>

<p>Re the flash--it could very well be the thermal shut off system. Hard to know.</p>