Going to Hawaii for the first time..

sydney_alfano

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p>After much research and many books/websites/reviews read, I've come to a brick wall... I am at a lost as to what lens to bring to Hawaii.</p>

<p>We are going the the Big Island the first week of September, and I was looking into renting a couple lens to bring along with me. Price isn't *too* much of an issue, considering the renting, but I don't want to be spending more than the trip itself for about a weeks worth of shooting.</p>

<p>Right now, I have a D90 with the 18-105mm it came with, and a 50mm f/1.8.</p>

<p>I am mostly interested in landscape and flower photography, with maybe a couple candid shots of my boyfriend or whatnot.</p>

<p>Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! - Sydney</p>

<p>Actually, what you already have is a kit that is well set up for a decent range from wide angle to telephoto, and a 50mm lens for low light and "portrait" work.<br /> I personally would want a telephoto along, but I confess I don't actually shoot all that much beyond the range you already have. However, there are fancy birds and some far off subjects that would be covered by something like the classic 70-300 sort of range. Get VR for any long lenses.</p>

<p>Have fun. Wish I were there. ;)</p>

<p>You'll <em>love</em> the Big Island. I've been there several times, and I brought my D90 with 18 - 200mm lens. I found that 18mm was wide enough, and 200mm was fine for getting distant, hand-held shots. Since I was not shooting for <em>National Geographic</em>, that was a perfect combination for me. A professional would bring more, I'm sure, but I was traveling from NY, and I wanted to travel light.</p>

<p>In the past, I have traveled with a bag full of equipment, and I have felt obliged to use all or most of it just because I brought it with me. I was there for the fun of it, not just for photography. I had a wonderful time, and I came home with hundreds of pictures that I keep looking at.</p>

<p>Your 18 - 105 might be just right, and the 50mm is good for low light. Most of my pictures were taken more at the wide angle end of the lens. When you stop and think about it, do you really need a super close-up shot of something ten miles away?</p>

<p>A very good guide book is "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed." We bought a copy there, but I should have had it to plan ahead. My wife and I went to several luaus, and we were never disappointed. We loved evening dinner/entertainment at the Kahua Ranch, up north. I enjoyed the sunset trip to the top of Mauna Kea. Be sure to get pictures of the variety of lava - it's all over the place. Also, you must spend some time at "The Place of Refuge" - a national park. Take a ride on the late James Arness's "Sea Smoke" for a sunset dinner cruise. The evening ride to the coast to see the lava entering the sea is a <em>total</em> waste of time and money. You will find that the people are very friendly and pleasant. I know more about the Big Island than I do about photography. I wish I were going with you.</p>

<p>Jerry</p>

<p>I upgraded my DX zoom to the Nikon 16-85mm VR and am glad I did it. I love the quality I get from this lens. And it is nice to have the 16mm for the few times I might need it. I think you could use something longer too if your budget would allow it. Maybe the Nikon 70-300mm zoom or the 70-200M f2.8 VR. Check out the rentals at <a href="http://www.borrowlens.com">www.borrowlens.com</a>. I wold take a tripod with me too. Take the 50mm too. And maybe one of the Nikon macro lenses that you could use for landscapes too. Look at the ones Nikon makes with focal lengths below 105mm. You do not need that expensive 105mm VR. Joe Smith</p>

<p>18-105mm will likely be your daytime lens.<br>

50mm f/1.8 would be your evening lens for lower light.<br>

If anything, I'd grab a 70-300mm VR even if it stays in your bag most of the time.<br>

On DX I like the 35mm focal length better than 50, but that's just me.</p>

<p>Really, I think you have most of what you need...just rent the 70-300mm. After all, you're in it for the vacation and the experience. This isn't a "photo excursion"</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>I would bring a Tokina 11-16mm or Nikon 10-24mm, a Nikon 16-85mm VR, and a Nikon 70-300mm VR along with your 50mm f1.8. I would also bring a tripod. That's basically what I take with me when I visit the island of Hawaii. Leave the 18-105mm behind. Spend some time at Volcanos National Park, my favorite home away from home.</p>

<p>I've been there about five times now. I'm going to save you some money. You need two things, and both are relatively inexpensive. First, GET A POLARIZER! I'd rather leave a lens home than not have a polarizer. Second, buy a close up diopter for your 18-105mm. A good one would be the Canon 250D or a Marumi (from e Bay.) You screw these on to your lens like a filter and they give you close focus ability. They work well. I don't think you need another lens for what you want to shoot.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After much research and many books/websites/reviews read, I've come to a brick wall... I am at a lost as to what lens to bring to Hawaii.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're WAAAAY over thinking this.</p>

<p>I just saw images one person took on a trip using a six year old prosumer camera with its slower built in zoom that were much more superior than those recently shot and seen by someone at the same place with the pro gear smorgasbord. Rent a decent fast lens to fill out the longer end of the range if you want max utility and don't mind carrying around a bunch of weight. Otherwise uy a slower cheaper one instead. Either way, you're all set. Can't decide? Let the boyfriend decide even if he knows nothing. Last resort: Flip for it.</p>

<p>Done.</p>

<p>Thank you, everyone, for your responses.</p>

<p>I took the 18-105mm out today to play around with it -- I think with a good few filters, that should be just fine -- you're right, it's a vacation, not a photo excursion.</p>

<p>And I am too attached to my 50mm (okay, so I sell things online, and use this as my quick go-to lens to product) to leave that behind. So I might invest in a few more filters for that, too.</p>

<p>Again, much thanks. You all are very helpful. ♥</p>

<p>One thing others haven't asked is what area(s) you're planning on seeing? The Big Island has a huge variety, between the different temperate zones and the peaks (star gazing at Mauna Kea is great). There's a pretty big difference between Hilo and Kona, not to mention the volcanoes and the southern tip of the island.</p>

<p>Also, be wary of the "Revealed" travel books - they cause a lot of heartaches with locals because the writers often mention places that are on private property or are dangerous.</p>

<p>Actually, you might want to remember to bring along a graduated neutral density filter (w-a-a-y cheaper than a lens, but it will give you lots of fun creative control on sunsets etc.), and as Kent recommended -- take a polarizer. Of course, you will have a tripod for the gorgeous low-light situations, so I won't mention that.</p>

<p>The orchids can be delightful, so a macro or "close-up lens" are also great.</p>

<p>But -- if you are doing landscape photography, make sure you check out the Big Island's vog situation. </p>

<p>You will find so many beautiful things to photograph that you don't need anything more than those two lenses to fill an album full of pictures.<br>

Wide angle, long telephoto, and macro are nice to have, but you should be enjoying your vacation, not learning photography!</p>

<p>The link provided is scenery from O'ahu, not Hawaii (the big island). Only a couple of the galleries are from the big island.<br>

The big island is much, much less populated. One of the best sights on the island is at the far south point on the Kiluea volcano. You'll want a long lens to capture the lava flowing into the sea (if it is flowing when you are there.)<br>

I lived on O'ahu for 6 years and repeatedly visited the other islands. Check out my galleries on Hawaii here:<br>

<a href="http://nostalgia-studios.com">http://nostalgia-studios.com</a><br>

Another thought, take what camera equipment you think you'll need. There is only one very small camera store and it is in Kailua Kona (Lighthouse Camera). <br>

Your lenses will work great for most shots, but you'll want a telephoto lens out to at least 200mm.<br>

Email me (link is on the website) if you have any more questions.</p>

<p> </p>