Bronica SQ disaster, please help

a.d._isaac

<p>So, I received the Bronica SQ that I bought on eBay. At first, I was extremely happy with it. Everything worked fine, and I shot one roll on it that came out great. I was really happy. But today, it has stopped working properly. Here's what's happened. In the middle of shooting, all of a sudden, the shutter wouldn't release. I could actually see the blades frozen in mid-shot through the lens.<br>

The slide was out, so it wasn't related to that. I tried removing and replacing the battery; wasn't related to that. Then I took out the film, and I noticed something: the little gear on the side, that connects to the film winder when the film holder is in place, was not moving when I turned the winding crank on the side.<br>

I can't take the lens off and cannot remove the film back, which would indicate to me that the shutter is not cocked (the manual says it has to be cocked to remove the lens.) But I cannot cock the shutter because I cannot move that little gear.<br>

I have contacted the guy who sold it to me on eBay. Fortunately, he seems to be a professional with an excellent feedback rating and I hope he responds soon. IN the meantime, does anyone know what to do?</p>

<p>OK, more info: I can remove the film back (turns out the darkslide needs to be in to do it.) The little gear, on the right hand side, when pushed with a small screwdriver, will NOT rotate; it merely leans forward and then springs back into place. Again, turning the knob on the side will not move the gear at all.</p>

<p>Is the shutter cocked, or not cocked? Does anyone know?</p>

<p>For now, don't push anything else with a screwdriver. Try setting the double exposure lever to active so you can try the body/lens without the back on and look into a light to see if it will operate and if the shutter will work. It sounds like the main spring didn't work right or the lens needs a CLA. Not sure, you have to experiment some more. Is there a return policy, maybe send it back, find another one.</p>

<p>Yeah I have tried the multiple exposure lever...makes no difference. The little gear on the right hand side of the back of the body, the one that links with the gear in the back and that one with the film holder, is simply stuck; winding the film advance knob on the side accomplishes nothing. I am wondering if maybe that winding knob is malfunctioning.</p>

<p>If I can't figure this out, I will have to see if a shop can fix it. There is one near me. But if not, I will have to send it back.</p>

<p>Hi,<br /> You mentioned you have taken the battery out and put it back, have you actually checked the battery or even better replaced it with a fresh one, could be the cause of your problem.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> Adrian.<br /><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>

<p>A.D, I've had a look at my Bronica and the gear your refer to on the right hand side should rotate every time you advance the winding crank with or without the back mounted. Obviously, with no back on the camera (or no film in the back) the multi exposure lever needs to be operated to allow the winding crank to rotate. The gear on the back of the camera you refer to does have a small amount of sprung loaded movement which enables it to mesh with the gear on the film back.<br>

You don't say which model you have, but assuming it's an SQA, then the shutter will revert to a 500th of a second if the battery fails - I'm not sure about the SQ, but I would imagine it's the same.<br>

You could try removing the lens, winding the crank and dry firing the camera to make sure the rear light blind in the body works properly - it should lower when the winding crank is operated. If everything seems okay, then it could be a problem with the lens. Make sure the gold contacs on the lens and body are clean. If they look at all dirty, then you could try wiping them with something non abrasive such as a pencil eraser.</p>

<p>The thing is, I cannot remove the lens. The manual says the shutter needs to be cocked to remove the lens. So this must mean that the shutter cannot be cocked. I assume that little gear is what cocks the shutter. The gear is completely stuck.</p>

<p>The battery is brand new, just bought two days ago.</p>

<p>With respect I think a lot of us would be guessing at this so while the possibility of return/refund still exists, put the screw driver down, walk away from the screw driver.</p>

<p>Have you tried relesing the shutter now you have the back off?</p>

<p>Does the body have the lock ring around the shutter release and if so have you checked to see if it has got partially turned?</p>

<p>I shipped the camera back to the seller (actually, to Panorama Camera in NY - he told me to ship it to there and he'd have them look at it.) I was told it wouldn't cost me. So, hopefully this will get fixed soon.</p>

<p>I have to say, this experience has made me worry if I made the right choice by getting the Bronica. Prior to shipping it, I took the camera to an experienced vintage camera repair guy and he said he couldn't figure out what the matter was; he told me Bronicas are over-engineered and prone to frustrating problems like this one and that I should have spent a little more money and gotten a Hasselblad.</p>

<p>Hope you get your camera fixed - do let us know what the problem was.<br>

Regarding the repairmans comments, I can't how they are over engineered more than any other camera if it's type. They are certainly not prone to frustrating problems in my experience. I've been using one for over 20 years and it's never been in for repair or service.</p>

<p>A.D.,<br>

don't lose your cool just yet. Having used Hasselblads a lot,I can assure you you will have a close,personal relationship with your service team in years to come if you acquire one.<br>

The Bronica was a very good attempt to get 85-90 percent of the performance for half of the money, and,electronically controlled leaf shutter benefits as well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Unfortunately this is a bit after the fact,but the same(or similar) thing just happened to my<br>

Etrsi.I ended up installing the darkslide,removed the back and pushed the shutter release button <br>

and the camera finished it's firing cycle and all was well.<br>

Regards Peter</p>