Becoming a Preferred Vendor

julie_sweeney

<p>Recently I've been trying to network with wedding facilities to become a preferred wedding photographer. Does anyone have any advice on working your way into "Preferred Vendor Status". Most facilities that I have contacted indicated to me that their are so many wedding photographers out there that they can't add to the vendor list. I tried advertising online and found that I was just wasting my money. Most of my jobs come from referrals but I'd really love to work more with some of these facilities. </p>

<p>Be sure to take business cards with you and handout at each place you do weddings on the day of the gig. This includes wait staff, bartenders, custodians, maybe they won't help but what does each business card cost?<br /> Go to each place before your wedding gig, visit with people, try to establish rapport, tell them you are checking things out for so & so's wedding, give them business cards. You could take a few photos of each place before you visit with the folks and give them an 8x10 when you do arrive to check things out. Two trips but maybe worth the effort.</p>

<p>If you feel positive vibes, then during your conversation, ask them what it takes to get listed as a preferred vendor. I was in sales for a long time and, for me, a "no" answer, was simply yes sometime in the future.</p>

<p>Hope this helps you!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It takes time to establish in most vendor's eyes that you're a committed pro and not just another Craigslist photographer that is trying their hand at wedding photography. You need to be able to prove to them that you're around for the long haul and won't be onto something else next year. If I find a vendor I want to work with again I always share images with them from the wedding we worked together. Local caterer, baker and florist sites are littered with my images. They get pix, I get referrals. <br>

I also network heavily with wedding planners, they're the best people in the biz to know in my opinion. A cup of coffee and a few images for their website go a long way.</p>

<p>It not only takes time, it takes multiple events with that vendor and favorable reviews from your clients to get more business and get on the "list" </p>

<p>Some venues also limit the number of vendors of a particular type that they put on their lists - I know a couple of hotels that have 5 photographers - no more, no less at any given time on their list. If one retires or quits - they replace them with the person who's next on their card file... last I checked both had over 100 cards for photographers... </p>

<p>It's not easy but it does happen - keep trying - </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>David and Alex are on to it. Maury also has the key.<br>

I would say that you need to think of saturation too, while targeting the hotels, venues and wedding planners (the latter being the highest up in the market I'm in) is a good thing, you have to remember your potential client will be visiting more than just one place. So if they see an album of yours, not a business card-sorry they are just to ubiquitous to stand out, at a few of the locations you worked at, they will ask the DOC (director of Catering) about you. The more the DOC says your name, the more likely you will move higher on that list, assuming they don't just put the kibosh on new people.<br>

Although there are always junior planners and catering executives and new people being hired in that group, they would be great to get to know, take out for coffee.</p>

<p>Of course I'll say it again, professional Networking groups like NACE (National Association of Catering Executives) is a group of event people LOOKING for people whom to get to know, and recommend. Joining a group like this also promotes the idea to other professionals that you too are someone in this for the long haul. Look in your region for a NACE chapter.<br>

It works, it just takes some time..<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>The basics have been covered here, though one (admittedly rare) opportunity has been left out. Photographers are not always the only ones at a wedding who are new. I have been in several situations where a venue was actually new to hosting weddings (yes, even here in Manhattan) - those are opportunities to get in with them from the start.</p>

<p>if I do more than 4 weddings at one venue within an 18 month period I work to become a prefered vendor - I have my clients write the venue and ask them to put me on the list... some venues want you to co-op with advertising - I invest in this as it is a great return - I do not do bridal shows - so I use that money to co-op ads with vendors - I will go to a bridal show with a vendor but not alone... too too too many photogs - venue list is the way to go - you have to build relationships with the brides and the venues</p>

We leave sample albums and sometimes large 20x24 framed images.Don't forget the business cards.

Every month or so we pick out the fancy places to re-visit. Bring some roses or something for the host. If they got you a job flip them some money along with a bottle of wine. We actually get calls from the Beverly Hills Hotel! Cool!