Focus stacking

User_6667263

<p>I am relatively new to digital photography and macro photography. I am using a T1i with the Canon 100mm EF USM macro lens and Photoshop Elements 9. When I attempt to do focus stacking the object I am photographing, let's say a flower, has a slightly different size in each image in the stack. I believe this happens because changing the point of focus to a different distance from the sensor plane also changes the focal length of the lens slightly. Is this correct?</p>

<p>If I use a focusing rail I think I will still have the same problem with the size of the flower varying from frame to frame because although the focus distance, and hence the focal length of the lens, will remain constant the distance from the sensor to the flower will change and this will cause the size of the flower to vary from image to image in the stack. Is this correct?</p>

<p>Assuming that my understanding is correct, is there any way to create a focus stack and have the size of the subject the same in each image? Thanks.</p>

<p>Another really good focus stacking software, in my opinion, is Zerene Stacker. You might check it out. You can download a 30-day trial version to try it for yourself. Do a search on "Zerene" and it will get you to their site.</p>

• 2 weeks later...