Hasselblad

travels

<p>I have never tried medium format photography. Lately I have been thinking of getting into MF Cameras especially for Landscape photography. I am wondering whether I should start with Hasselblad H2df and use film before I invest lot of money in H4D cameras. Please, advise.</p>

<p>With an H2 you could probably fit a Phase One back later and not even have to go for the H4D or later camera. The H2's can accept other brand backs, so you will only be out the cost of the film back--which isn't insubstantial at about $2000 each.</p>

<p>IMO, this is probably the best MF camera ever made as to sharpness and ergonomics, have fun with it.</p>

<p>I concur; it is a superb camera. You won't find a big difference in the H models, but shooting 6x4.5 is a big small for film, IMO. However, it is perfect for a digital back. The lenses for the H cameras are absolutely superb, and stunning in sharpness, control of contrast, etc. My only concern for buying a used one is that these cameras were either true work horses, or in a rental department (where I get mine). They can be pretty well worn.</p>

<p>I can't justify the investment for Hasselblad digital cameras for my business. Maybe my business is too puny but with my market they wouldn't work. </p>

<p>I have several Hasselblad film cameras and I believe I could get pretty large files from scanning negatives but I don't use them anymore for what I do.</p>

<p>I have several 40x30 prints for potential/current clients to view, made with Canon stuff, along with accessories like tripods, lighting, reflectors correct lighting, posing & composition.<br>

At the price of good Hasselblad used film cameras couldn't you look at film and the money you save would buy lots of film, developing and drum scans. <br>

Look at the September 2011 issue of Shutterbug, specifically, an article authored by Roger Hicks on Kodak Portra 400 film. Pages 140, then 152, then 156-158.</p>

<p>My recommendation, try a used Hasselblad film camera. You may be surprised at the results.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>William, I can't justify buying one either. I only use it for commercial and fashion work for some accounts I've had for 20 years. So I rent an H system when I need it. I just add it to the cost of the work. I think you can get some great results with a V system film camera, and the Hasselblad digital back for the V is very good. Again, the ergonomics is not quite there, but you can use a prism finder and side grip to get close.</p>