Suggestion needed for telephoto zoom lens (for Canon Rebel XT)

sumanc

<p>I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens for my Canon Rebel XT with budget being around $500.<br /><br />1. What I have in mind is "Canon - EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM", which is $539 in bhphotovideo. I have heard lots of good things about this lens. But do you have any other suggestion? Perhaps something else with lower price tag? I am OK with buying from Tamron or Sigma, as long as quality is comparable.<br /><br />2. My second question: I already own a "Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR LD Aspherical (IF)" for wide angle purposes. I was wondering whether I could use a single zoom lens to cover the whole range 18-200/300mm? Do you think that would be major loss in optical quality? I was looking at the following lenses: (1) Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ($560) and (2) Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD AF ($649). What is your opinion regarding this? Should I discard/sell my existing wide angle lens and buy a zoom lens that covers the whole wide-tele range for convenience? What are the pros and cons?<br /><br />Thanks in advance! :)</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I'll speak to the Canon lenses since I know them better. (Plus, I'm a big believer in sticking with Canon lenses for canon bodies, although that's just me.)<br>

Any lens is an exercise in tradeoffs. The 70-300 and the 18-200 purchase a wide focal length range at the cost of optical quality. Both are decent optical quality, and thus decent values, but if you'd care to sacrifice some of the range, you could get better quality.<br>

One lens that should be on your list is the Canon 70-200 f4 L. It's still in your price range at around $650, and it's probably the best L series bargain there is--much sharper than the 70-300, although you do lose some of that focal length range. But be warned that once you try L series glass, you may never want to go back. :-)<br>

You may want to check this site for reviews of the lenses you're interested in:<br>

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/</p>

<p>HTH.</p>

<p>Another vote for the 55-250 IS. Using this lens together with your current lens will be a very significant improvement over any one lens solution. Lugging around a DSLR can be a bit of a chore, but one big advantage is that you can swap lenses. If you want a one lens solution, you might as well go really small and get a decent P&S. I recently complemented my Rebel T1i set with a Lumix DMC-ZS7 for those occasions when the DSLR is too big. To my surprise, its video capabilities leave the T1i in the dust. Other than that, it's a nice snap shooter, but for anything serious it can't touch on a DSLR.</p>

<p>Anyhow, you can get a 55-250 IS and a good P&S for less than the price of a Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, and you'd get the best of two worlds!</p>

<p>Replaced my Canon 75-300 non IS with the new Tamron SP 70-300 VC. Less expensive than the Canon 70-300 IS. After 50.00 rebate (I got mine quickly) at B&H right now for 399.00. I am very happy with it. If you don't need the 200-300 range, I would recommend the Canon 70-200 F4 mentioned above. If you want the extra reach, the Tamron is a nice option.</p>

<p>I shoot lots of older lenses without the feature, but for a new telephoto, there is no reason not to get Image Stabilization, especially when it is available on good quality lenses for reasonable prices like the EF 70-300mm and the EF-S 55-250mm.<br>

The quality of the former lens is surprising, as, for that matter, is the 55-250. The EF-S 55-250 has an advantage in weight and size, but the EF 70-300 is usable if you ever go to a larger sensor camera. I am a great supporter of the idea that you should get what you need now, and worry about the rest tomorrow, however. (Of course, as is usually pointed out here at some point, the 70-300mm is much better set at 300 than is the 55-250 at that focal length ;)</p>

<p>Bob Atkins' review of the 70-300 is at (<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html">link</a>), and both lenses can be found reviewed at <a href="http://www.photozone.de/all-tests">Photozone.de</a>, along with others such as the L lenses referred to above.</p>

<p>The 70-200mm L is surely a very nice lens, but it has less reach, and it lacks the IS feature.<br>

I wouldn't go to L without IS.</p>

<p>Both the 55-250 and the 70-300 are good lens. I have the 70-300 and use it often on my XT. It would depend on "YOUR" intended use as to which would be better for you. One of my uses is wildlife photography. There has only be 2 times that 70mm was too much and as it often is with wildlife photography I had no time to change my lens. On the other hand there have been more times then I can count, where I wished I had a 400mm or larger. You can always get the shot with less magnification and crop some...but more IS better!</p>

<p>wow! I am really impressed by such wealth of helpful information within a very short time! Thanks a lot people!</p>

<p>So as the general consensus suggests, I am seriously considering the Canon 55-250mm IS as it would really play nice on my wallet. I was really pushing my limits with the $500 budget.</p>

<p>I was just wondering, is there any place where I could actually try out (or rent) these lenses myself? I have found a couple of online rental services (like, lensrentals.com), but the shipping cost seems to be very high. I am still looking for some dependable local shops in Los Angeles area, where I could just pick them up. That might give me some hands on experience about these lenses. If you know any such places, please let me know. Thanks again.</p>

<p>By the way, I found some confusing statements in the photozone review about using the 55-250mm lens with 350D (Rebel XT): <a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review">http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review</a>, that makes me suspicious:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Unfortunately the test camera (EOS 350D) didn't really like the lens. At 55mm it had big troubles to lock on reliably and in the field things weren't all that convincing beyond either."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you agree? But I remember many of you being satisfied with this lens on XT. Am I correct?</p>

<p><br />I have used lensrental.com and they are great to do business with. There shipping cost initially looks hi, but this includes paid shipping back to them. If you request a lens to be there on a Monday, they will usually make sure it gets there on the previous Friday and you get the extra days for free. They also provide used lenses and share information on the durability and lifespan of their lens. As some of the Canon lens cost a LOT of money, I like to rent an expensive lens to see if it is what I really want befor I buy it. Some camera shops will rent or, loan with a deposit, an expensive lens to a trusted customer.</p>

<p>You're going to be hard pressed to find local places that rent EF-S lenses. Given the low cost, and the ease of returns at most major retailers, it seems like it would be easier just to buy it outright and use it. If it's not the right lens, return it. You could even buy a used one from a reputable retailer and reduce your costs further. </p>

<p>While I've not had any problems with the 55-250 on my XT, I can't say for certain how often I've used it at 55mm. More often I'm using it at the longer end. </p>

<p> </p>