Found Dynachrome Film

<p>Hello All, I recently acquired a very nice Olympus 35-S. Inside was a partially exposed roll of 3M Dynachrome (high speed) ASA25, process K-11. There is documentation with the camera with the date of Nov 1961. Is anyone familiar with this Dynachrome? Does this film feature an anti-halation backing? I might like to process in HC-110, but not with the added mess of removing any such backing. Thanks</p>

<p>I was Quality Control Manager for the 3M Dynacolor processing lab in Aurora, Illinois. The K11 film incorporated an antihalation coating. It likely can be removed using an alkline soak: <br /> Water 800ml (warm)<br /><br />Borax 20g<br /><br />Sodium Sulfate 100g<br /><br />Sodium Hydroxide 1g <br /><br /> Add water to make 1000ml.<br /> <br /><br /><br /> Soak for a few<br />minutes and using cotton balls or old well washed "T" shirt, lightly buff the backside. You In the Aurora lab we used high speed film processors. The film emerged from a pre-soak had its backside buffed using spinning soft<br />cotton rollers (just like paint rollers). <br /> <br /><br />Good luck</p>

<p>If you are not sure on how to process the film, or not wanting to try, may I suggest you contact Gene M who often posts pictures of film he finds and develops in old cameras he buys, or the film people send him.<br>

I am not sure if he can develop slide film, but it never hurts to ask.<br>

He does post to this forum quite often.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. I am a great fan and admirer of Gene's found film work and stories. I would be glad to send my found film to Gene, but I wonder if we all did this, he would become quite innundated. Gene...If you contact me, I'll fire this off asap. The camera had with it a customs form 4457 for items taken abroad by resident seamen and airmen, with the owner's name and address dated 1961. There may be no telling where and when this film was exposed. Nice mystery!</p>

<p>This film, a Kodachrome knock-off was manufactured by Dynacolor in Brockport, NY. Dynacolor was acquired by 3M.<br>

The product line was expanced by a partnership with Ferenia, an Italian film maker. This added black and white and color negative film to the line.<br>

The Ferenia products were sold as private label meaing the box dispayed the name of the drug chain or mass merchandizer.</p>

<p>I love learning about these little snippets of film lore. Then, Alan also worked for Dynacolor! I know I used 3M film in the 1970s, but at that time I think it was all similar to Ektachrome. I'll have to go back into my slides and have a look.</p>