batteries pt.2

abhishek_rai

<p>this has really been bugging me for a while now but does anyone elses batteries on the ae-1 program run out after like 10 rolls? also i am correct in assuming that the correct amount of beeps is 3 per second? or is the other way round? (1 beep every 3 seconds) cause it would explain why i having to keep searching for batteries in this god forsaken country.</p>

<p>THANKS</p>

<p>Abz~</p>

<p>Amazon lists the 4LR44 (or PX28AB) as a medical battery. With a cloth shutter, I wouldn't be surprised if the battery runs out after 10 rolls... my Nikon N65 with 2x CR2 used to do that. Does the AE-1 have mechanical shutter backup at 1/60?</p>

<p>I'll remind myself of both your posts next time I have to choose between film and digital for a trip to a remote location...</p>

<p>No the AE-1 does not have any mechanical backup. Your battery should be lasting much longer then 10 rolls of film. If the battery is good it should beep about 6 times per second. At 3 times per second you should be replacing the battery. It is possible the batteries you are getting while sold new are not a full 1.5V+ and 4 of them are not giving you full power.</p>

My AE1 and A1 last a long time on a single battery. You just have to turn the camera to L so that the meter switches

off. I find that I get lots of films off a single battery. I have never counted but I suspect that it is at least 30 if not more.

As battery operated cameras go they are very good on battery life. My EOS film bodies and my T90s where you have

the shutter cocked and the film advancEd by battery are not so good

<p>I've only had to change the battery in my Canon A1 three times in the twenty three years I've owned it, I use PX 28 L lithium battery s, if you switch the camera off every time you use it and have excessive power drain the internal circuitry has an electrical fault that needs investigating and servicing by a professional.</p>