Payment Processing

kharris

<p>I need help with choosing a card payment processing solution. I currently use a proofing site that charges me a small per event fee to host the images from my weddings and other jobs. Then, they take 15% of each order total. There are a number of these outfits, and most offer a lot more than reprints. That's great, but I'd like more flexibility. If a client wants to pay for a wedding package (in installements or full payment), I don't want 15% taken off the top for processing the payment. That would be $450 for a $3000 wedding package! The bank-based solutions seem more flexible, but they're not geared towards hosting hundreds or thousands of photos, and they're more complicated than the photographer-friendly, proofing solutions. Then again, I guess that's why my proofing site takes 15% - the convenience.<br>

I'm interested to know how any of you handle your credit card processing. Any help is greatly appreciated!<br>

Thanks,<br>

Kev</p>

<p>I agree with Mark as to payments. Using PayPal there is still a fee, a very small fee. Your client also has the security know that it is a secure site for making payments over the internet.<br />As for a proofing site, I'm a little confused at what you're saying. (Maybe it's morning and I'm not thinking straight, lol). I use a web hosting site that allows me to upload my entire event and also a proofing E-Commerce so clients can buy prints if they desire. You might want to check it out. Keep in mind, we all have our preferences and opinions of how we want to showcase our work. Go with whats comfortable with you. The hosting site is geared to photographers: <a href="http://www.bigblackbag.com">www.bigblackbag.com</a></p>

<p>I use Square Trade, which has a small free card reader that plugs into my Iphone. They charge 2.7 % and deposit it right into my business account. Many small businesses are using it, because they have so much less of a cut for processing it. </p>

<p>@Mark: PayPal was my first thought, but a friend of mine who owns an online bookstore was using it and told me the PayPal system annoyed his customers because every time they would go to the checkout, PayPal would prompt them to sign up and create their own accounts. I got the impression that his customers were being solicited a little too much. I guess I'll just try it out myself. If it becomes too much of a problem, I can always go in another direction. Thanks!<br>

@Kevin: My proof hosting site provides the same services. I actually love their features and user interface. I just wish I could process ALL my transactions (like deposits and package payments) through them, but the 15% fee is prohibitive for anything outside of reprints and the other products they sell. Once my sales volume goes up, I can upgrade to a plan that charges a smaller fee.<br>

@Michael: I'll check Square Trade out too. That sounds interesting.<br>

Thanks everybody! I'm sure I'll come up with a good fit from the options you've suggested. </p>

<p>Fifteen percent seems rather high. I use Zenfolio and they have a tiered charge for client orders: 12% for prints, 8% for digital, 4% for self-fulfilled (free with the top-end premium plan). Self-fulfilled can be used to charge for services, though I use PayPal or checks for this myself.</p>

<p>If you decide to check out Zenfolio (they have a free trial), my referral code will save you a few bucks: DUQ-C5J-MB8 <br>

<br /></p>

<p>There are lots of ways to process payment that offer lower fees, but, to those who use alternate payment methods: how do you allow your clients to choose which images (and sizes) they want printed?</p>

<p>The benefit of SmugMug, Photoshelter, Zenfolio, etc., is that they integrate and automate the selection process and submit the order for you. If you process payment on your own, how do you display images to the client and collect the client's order information?</p>

<p>Gheez! I had a comlete response typed out and hit the backspace key by mistake and got kicked back to the login page. Aaahhhh!<br>

Anyway, I agree with you Julie, and I checked out Kevin Reedy’s suggestion – <a href="http://www.bigblackbag.com/">www.BigBlackBag.com</a>. It looks VERY promising. Their Pro Unlimited plan would give me all<br />the functionality of my main Flash-based site (hosted by <a href="http://www.bigfolio.com/">www.bigfolio.com</a>), but would also provide more effective SEO with a flexible and unlimited proofing/e-commerce solution. Add payment processing through PayPal, and I have everything I’m looking for. They’re running a buy 2 years get the 3<sup>rd</sup> year free promo. At $440.00 for the plan, I’d get the first 3 years at about $12.00 per month! I’m currently paying $25.00 per month to host my main site through Big Folio.<br>

The only headache would be migrating my current email solution to the new setup and setting up a new site. <br />I’m going to give it a little more thought because I’ve been burned by jumping to a new web host before (iCreations – avoid them). Big Folio’s service is very good, and they’re super reliable, but Big Black Bag seems like a no-brainer – unless Big Folio can match their offering.<br>

<br />Thanks again!</p>