Nikon 600mm f5.6 Manual with moving subjects

jainamishra

<p>Not sure if the yellow building images are of any use, but don't know how to delete them!<br /> Here are some more. I relied entirely on the AF dot to set focus.<br>

Clearly with the f22 set, although the focal point was set to point B, even point A is within the focal plane. A and B are probably at least 3-4 inches away from each other in the line of my lens. In the case of f5.6, A is not in focus.<br>

Assuming that I will have reasonable MF skills by then, shouldn't this additional 3 inch focal plane created at f22 give reasonable results?</p><div>00Z5vS-383327584.jpg.ea94dbb4fa831d0d1f43872e7ea248cb.jpg</div>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>To me, the f/8 and f/11 images of the roof look best.</p>

<p>I think the lens looks very nice in terms of image quality. And yes, please post images after the event; I googled "nagaland festival" and now understand why you're so excited about this.</p>

<p><em>This forced learning will probably push me out of complacency.</em></p>

<p>No argument there; it is a good idea to try something very difficult but potentially very rewarding from time to time.</p>

<p>Elliot, Ilkka - am reassured by your words. Seeing that this sharpness is very different from that of the 85 1.4 I was a bit worried. But I guess for such a long range this is good performance.</p>

<p>My trip is planned for early September so will post images then. </p>

<p>Ilkka, Roy, sorry about the confusion my words created. Last year I went to Nagaland and found the set of lenses that I had taken at that time inadequate for taking shots of large groups from a distance.</p>

<p>And so I plan to use that learning for this year's trip to Ladakh. Nagaland and Ladakh are about 2000km apart, both in India, both host fantastic festivals.</p>

<p>(my naga images are on www.jainamishra.com)<br>

thanks<br>

jaina</p>

<p>Thanks Jaina<br /> the only reason I mentioned it is that the first time I went to India - in 1973 - it was impossible to get all the way up the Leh highway to Ladakh. I got a little way past Vashist (sp?) hot springs above Manali then the Indian army intervened (politely). Nowadays I believe Manali has about 200 hotels; incredible. But I've always looked longingly at the maps showing Nagaland.</p>

<p>Ursula Graham Bower's book "Naga Path" is worth reading if you haven't already come across it. She was there first in 1937/8 as I recall and became very involved with the Nagas. It's a good many years since I read it but I've subsequently thought about visiting the area. The closest I got was W. Bengal and Sikkim a few years back. On the occasions I've visited India over the years I've always omitted to take a camera (apart from a Minox B in 1976!) - and always regretted it. Next time!</p>

<p>Good luck with the trip and let us see the results!<br /> Roy</p>

<p>Roy, you missed Ladakh by just a year - it was opened to foreigners in 1974. Now there are flights to Leh and organised motorcycle tours as well!<br>

And you MUST make that trip to Nagaland and the other states in North-East India. There are a few festivals coming up between November and April ....lots to shoot!</p>

<p>One last question about the 600mm - is there a range (lens to subject distance0 at which it gives best results?</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

jaina</p>