what model arca swiss is this?

maarten_van_viegen

hey,

at the moment i'm looking into buying a LF camera.

i found a second hand arca swiss including a

Linhof Technika Agnulon 90 mm 6.8 for $400,-

almost all reviews on the arca swiss line look good.

however the seller doesn't know which model it is.

can anybody tell from this photo?

would it be hard to find accesoires for it like pola back and

rollfilm back?

thanks,<div>003yX5-10074484.jpg.bf422bf4f7681dda46df041b1a1b5b4f.jpg</div>

Maarten,

The model of Arca-Swiss I can not tell you. What I do know is

that it is from before the current ownership of Arca-Swiss.

While some components of the system are interchangeable with

the new (current) series others are not. Most notably the lens

panels and bellows. This could render expansion of a kit

somewhat bothersome.

WG

Maarten,

No idea about the Arca Swiss. However the Angulon 90mm f/6.8 might not be the best bet. Does it come with the kit and how much are they asking for the lens bit of the deal? I ask because you will very soon run out of movements on the Angulon as although it is a great little lens for shots where big movements are not needed if you want much by way of movement you run into the less-than-wonderful outer part of the image circle. The Super Angulon and similar lenses have a bigger image circle and are sharp throughout.

Have you seen :

www.largeformatphotography.info

loads of useful stuff.

all the best

marteen if I were you I would not buy this camera.First the price is not that great the camera is several generations old,the rails will not be compatible with new components os viceversa.The lens is also old.

For a little more money you can buy a new basic linhoff or similar and you will be better off.

I bought one like this years ago and it was a bad deal I gave it away because no one will buy it from me.

Good luck luis

Maarten:

The camera is an older Arca Swiss Basic series, DP (Double pivot). It is a gneration removed from Arca Swiss' current models, but it's quite serviceable. I have the base tilt model from the same series & am quite happy with it. I've been shooting with it since 1977. The monorail profile is compatible with their current series so you could get one of the collapsible rails if you wanted. The lensboars are the same size as current, but the mounting scheme has been changed. Older boards come up on ebay fairly regularly.

check completed ebay auctions under "Arca Swiss" for pricing information.

the format frames on this series are plastic & one thing to watch for on used models is this plastic cracking at the knob studs. If the knobs have been overtightened this can happen.

Newer models are a bit more ridgid & I can't say if you would be happier with one, but mine has been a workhorse. Since it has to earn it's keep, I'm reticent to replace what already works for me.

Good luck!

~Ted

This is the second time that question has been asked using that photo.

here was my answer to the first person who asked:

It is an Arca-Swiss A/B camera. Based on the monorail I'd say it is a late to

very model of this series. It is not the current Arca-Swiss F-line camera. Many

accessories for the current series of Arca-Swiss cameras are interchangable

but the bellows are not. It has both axis and base tilts. It is not yaw free. A lot of

people seem to really like these cameras for landscape and other field work

as it is a reasonable weight, high precision instrument. Ansel Adams was

pretty impressed with these cameras for field work, based on his brief

comments in the The Camera. That is about all I know about it. The fact that it

has been used regularly is a good thing if the camera hasn't been abused or

dropped.<P>

Addendum; Polaroid 4x5 backs will fit with no problem.I believe the back has

a graflock mechanism (I'd need to see a back view to be sure) so yes you can

use either the Horseman type ("Humpback") roll film jholders or the Sinar

Toyo roll film backs.

Some have grafloc backs. A great many are spring backs- so be sure to ask about that with the seller. This model is also sometimes refered to as a Series III a(axis), b (base), or a/b (axis/bas) model. In addition to what some of the previous posters mentioned the bellows are not compatible, but Arca still makes them at very high cost. The rail is compatible but has to be completely swapped out. Try to get as many accesories in the deal as possible- particularly the bellow, deep recessed lensboard and flat boards. Rail extensions, Long bellows or extension standards and bellows to extend the camera beyond 380mm might be difficult to come by, but most who buy this camera buy it for it's portability and ability to fold down compact, not extend it like crazy. Whether you intend to use longer lenses or shoot close up beyond this camera's 380mm rail is something you'll need to determine, but many wooden cameras are shorter,and have little to no extension capability at all. I disagree with Luis that accessory availability should be a hamper to you enjoying this camera- everything appears on ebay at least once. If you are sure to get the most important accessories as part of the package you should have few problems.