Retina IIIC Sunday walkaround

<p>I bought this Retina IIIC in June. I already had a Retina I and a Retinette; so, I needed the Retina IIIC; logical; and who will argue against logic? Slow shutter speeds (1/15"-1") will need attention. Focusing test seems to indicate that, focusing by the r/f (@1m distance) actual focus is ~50mm behind the target, and the distance scale seems to agree with that; so it's the r/f that needs a slight adjustment.<br>

All pictures were taken near home on a Sunday morning. Film: APX100. Developed in Rodinal 1:50 10', agitation at 30" intervals. Really pleased with the tonality, much more than with, recetly Delta400 or HP5 (driven by circumstances) in HC-110.<br>

But, first, the inevitable camera portrait. Same film & development, only shot with Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 @ f/11.<br>

Then a few shots, with a more complete collection at:<br>

http://bernard.lazareff.perso.sfr.fr/public_html/2007-07-Retina_IIIC/</p>

<div>00Z3ej-380919584.jpg.6e93892bb128c4882108cdd9b26e580a.jpg</div>

<p>The "Pathway" especially is an image highly appropriate to the camera.</p>

<p>Nice work.</p>

<p>Since I have a sort of Dresden bias, I've liked the Welta cameras better than the Retinas, but my only copy of the latter has some 'fog' in the lens, so it's not a fair comparison, I acknowledge.</p>

<p>I always thought that the Retinas are not only well made, but very atractive to look at as well. The Xenons from that era a bit prone to fogging, but if you find a clear one the results are great. The pathway photo displays a very nice quality.<br>

Gevaert obviously didn't recognise the existance of Retinas, or maybe they just hadn't made their presence felt at that time. I think that Kodak first produced the 35mm cassette for their Retina cameras, making 35mm much more accessible and popular.</p>

<p>I have a slew of Retina's including the big C.</p>

<p>Was there any difference between the Xenon f/2.0s and 2.8s on any of them? My understanding is that the f/2.8 lens was the same as the f/2.0 but the aperture control was mechanically limited.</p>

I too am pleased with the pathway. Interesting cut of path and pasture, tough contrast well balanced. I too am interested by the lack of reference to Kodak on the film container? I could find this on linetoo , but weren't all Kodak Retinas post-war? I have moxed feelings on their design, some are better than others! I prefer the smaller early models, but my ignorance may be appalling as I don't feel I know this line as well as.... umm... some others!