Fuji 550EXR vs Pana TZ7/10/18 vs other?

<p>I already own a Pentax SLR system, but I use a p/s for travel photo when I cannot bring the SLR system and for underwater photography. I have used with good satisfaction a Panasonic TZ3 and then a TZ7, but I always missed the possibility to adjust aperture (in macro mode it shoots wide open, which leaves something to be desired in terms of depth of field), plus I'd like better image quality and the possibility to shoot RAW to decide how much smoothing I wanted from denoising. Good video capabilities, including zoom and focus while shooting also required. Other things like GPS and a wider zoom range (minimum 25-300) might be good but not essential. <br>

Looking at the TZ20 it seemed almost all I wanted, but the reviews talk of a step back in image quality. The Fuji 500/550 EXR seems great on paper, but I know very well specs cannot be trusted. And then Ican stay with Panasonic with the TZ18, and the TZ10. Or did I miss a good contender?<br>

Since I could not locate on the web any direct comparisons, does anybody have first hand information on how these compare? Or should I just stick with the TZ7 and wait for another round of new cameras, hoping they will stop this mad rush to higher megapixel counts and lower quality?</p>

I think you should stick with your TZ7 (ZS3), or if you want GPS, buy a TZ10 (ZS7) used. Both have CCD sensors, which at this time, perform better than CMOS in small sizes. Although the F550 can zoom during video, it takes a frustratingly long time to refocus. The TZ20 (ZS10) and F500/F550 have CMOS sensors, which I believe accounts for their lower image quality.

On the plus side, the F550 has better high-ISO performance than the Panasonic cameras. But its Fujinon lens is soft in the corners at wide angle, sample variation is extreme, and low ISO performance is mediocre. Then there is your question of RAW mode. I am not sure that it's worthwhile using RAW with 1/2" pinhead sensors. If RAW is extremely important to you, I would recommend the Nikon P7000 instead. Its lens is only 28-200, but the P7000 meets all your other criteria. You will notice a definite improvement in image quality with the P7000, although video will be about the same.