Canon 50D slightly overexposing

<p>Same reaction as David's. I've been shooting with a 50D for a couple of years and have had no consistent exposure problems. However, there have been plenty of times when I have accidentally hit the wheel and found myself shooting with an unintended exposure compensation.</p>

<p>Of the 4 Canon cameras iI've had 2 have not been "spot on" with exposures. With my 7e I had to use -1/3 stop compensation and the XTi needed +1/3 stop. The 7D I have is usually pretty good but seems to take too much notice of what's under the focus point. Exposure is a subjective thing, I think personal preferences probably run +/- 1/3 stop anyway. Canon can calibrate it but it is just as easy to permanently dial in some suitable compensation. Before doing anything read up on how the exposure system works, it doesn't have a brain like us, so it just looks at the scene and follows the software.</p>

<p>I too occasionally hit the rear control dial and get the unintended exposure compensation as Dan and David indicate.</p>

<p>Something else you may want to try is to change or verify the metering mode you are using. You may want to experiment with the different settings. I personally find myself shooting more in the "Pattern" metering than the "Spot" metering mode, of course, dependent upon the shot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Occasionally a single shot will be wildly overexposed then the following shot will be perfect (with no setting being changed). Especially with the 55-250mm lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it only happens with that lens, you may have a sticky diaphragm that doesn't close all the way down.</p>

<p>Realize all meters are calibrated to see a medium distribution of tones. If you have a large dark area, it can easily over expose 1-2 stops. I dial in appropriate EC before I even take this type of shot.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Wayne - I have had this happen to my 55-250, but the other way. I have a 40D and 50D and a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 55-250mm. I usually shoot my kids soccer with the 40D+70-200, but a couple of games have been with the 40D+55-250. out of the 200 shots, a couple were VERY underexposed. Normal settings would be f/5.6, ISO 400 and 1/800 sec. and then it would jump to 1/3200 sec.<br>

ODD.</p>