Nikon N50 Lenses Compatiblity with D90 (NEED ANSWER FAST!!)

brandy_redder

<p>Technically, yes they will "fit" in that they will mount to the camera. Depending on the vintage of the lenses for the N50, you may or may not get all the features, such as all the metering modes, etc. when mounted to the D90. And, don't forget there will be the 1.5X crop factor using a full-frame lens on a DX body.</p>

<p>Disclaimer: I'm not fully familiar with either of the bodies, so you may want to wait for a more knowledgeable response, or do more research on your own. In general, my answer is accurate.</p>

<p>If all of your lenses are from the era of the N50 or newer:</p>

<p>Yes, lenses that fit on the N50 will fit on the D90.</p>

<p>As long as the lenses you have are marked ad "D" lenses, your lenses will work with all metering modes on the D90.</p>

<p>All of your AF lenses will AF on the D90.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And, don't forget there will be the 1.5X crop factor using a full-frame lens on a DX body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This should read:<br /> The D90 is a DX format camera so any lens you mount will have a field of view equivalent to a lens with 1.5X the focal length of lens when mounted on a 35mm SLR.</p>

<p>Example: A 50mm lens on the D90 will have the FOV of a 75mm lens on your N50.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brandy - you're safe. According to the charts I just double-checked with, any lens that "works right" on an N50 will work just as well on a D90. The restrictions that Bob refers to for the D90's capabilities with some older lenses also apply to the N50 - other than the crop factor. Good luck. [Edit: crossed over with Richard. What he said. :-) ]</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>As long as</strong> the lenses you have are marked as "D" lenses, your lenses will work with all metering modes on the D90.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uhh, not so fast. Not quite technically correct. :-)</p>

<p>They do <strong>not</strong> need to be marked "D". Any autofocus Nikon lens that works on a N50/F50 (which only meters with a CPU lens) will be 100% compatible with a D90. Full stop. The one and only very minor and insignificant caveat is that those that are not "D" will default to standard color-matrix metering instead of 3-D color matrix metering.</p>

<p>

<a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25446/D90.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.TechSpecs">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25446/D90.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.TechSpecs</a>

<strong>Compatible Lenses</strong>

AF NIKKOR other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible<br />AF Nikkor other than D-type: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash for D1-series possible<br />AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II<br />D-/G-type AF NIKKOR (excluding IX NIKKOR lenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro- NIKKOR)<br />DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible

</p>

<p>@Michael Freeman -<br>

Please re-read my quoted text.<br>

<em>As long as the lenses you have are marked ad "D" lenses, your lenses will work with <strong>ALL</strong> metering modes on the D90.</em></p>

<p>This, of course, includes 3D-Matrix Metering, which, as you pointed out, does not work if it is a non-D or G lens.<br>

<br />RS</p>

<p>It's sad that the first answer was correct, but this thread still had to run to two pages.</p>

<p>FWIW, this question can best be answered by going to the Nikon site and downloading the manual for the new camera in question and going to the "Compatible Lenses" page. Not only is it a primary source of information, it will avoid setting off a typical, internet, pencil necked geek, "smartest person in the room competition".</p>

<p>Harsh, Bruce? As ever, with Nikon compatibility, the devil is in the details. We have no way of knowing how precise Brandy wanted us to be, and how much functionality is expected to work with any given lens. Given the "need answer fast" tag, I suspect several of us may have been typing while others posted (I was looking things up while Richard posted, for example). I don't think there's any need to claim that people who are just trying to help are being competitive, especially those of us who just did some basic research for the OP rather than relying on expertise. As for pages, I don't think photo.net is about to run out of paper.<br />

<br />

And I object to being called a "pencil-necked geek". My neck, like the rest of me, is very fat. :-)<br />

<br />

Brandy: You're welcome, I'm glad we answered your question (possibly in far more detaili than you needed).</p>

<p>Yeah, Bruce, what's wrong with two pages (by the way, you can set the preferences so there are no pages).<br /> Nobody forces you to read anymore than you want to, and as Andrew says, the compatibility question is not always so very straight-forward. I can testify to that with my bag full of non-AI lenses.</p>

<p>And if we didn't get into these discussions,P.net would be about as useless as many other photo sites are, and Shun would be out of a "job". :)</p>