First real shoot, help needed on lighting...

<p>Hi all, tough crowd as the ratings on my latest shoot are fairly low, which is fine as it gives me more to learn. I'm curious as to how I could have made the images of Dan Thao better, more appealing, sexy, made her eyes pop more, knocked off some of the sun glare, and lit her better, post=processing tips, anything that might make these 6+ rather than high 3 or low 4.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1000447</p>

<p>Camera: Canon 50D<br>

Lenses: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM</p>

<p>Set up:</p>

<p>Indoor - three 580EXII and one 320EX for speedlights on stands with softboxes, and all set on manual at various power settings. I want to learn all aspects of lighting but indoor is really a challenge. I'm not sure whether to stick with the speedlight setup or go with studio strobes. I used my little apartment as the studio. I started with the 50, 1.8 but quickly moved to the Sigma for more focal range. I also shot everything using tripod.</p>

<p>Outdoor - One 580EXII on a stand with a 2'X3' softbox, and an ST-E2 transmitter. I had the speedlight set on E-TTL as time was short.</p>

<p>I'm not terribly disappointed with the posing but can always improve.</p>

<p>We'll be doing this again over the weekend and I definitely plan on taking the camera off the tripod. Any suggestions and feedback appreciated.</p>

<p>Not my specialty, but since nobody else has responded:</p>

<p>Ms Thao is a great looking model, but she doesn't look comfortable in front of the camera. If possible, shoot her a few more times and this should improve. </p>

<p>For many of the shots, you are shooting down on her. Even if you are the same height on level ground, shots usually look better if the camera is a little lower than your eye level. So if she is shorter and downhill on the beach, you are way too high.</p>

<p>I like the lighting on many of the shots. On a few, there seems to be more light on her body than on her face, the same light or more on her face might be better. You color balanced the setting sun and the flash fairly well. Some of the beach shots could be lightened with curves or levels, but that is somewhat of a personal preference.</p>

<p>It is difficult to get dark Asian eyes to "pop".</p>

<p>Maybe you could get her to wear some lipstick for the studio shots. Pink would look good on her.</p>

<p>Some could be improved if you moved her out of the middle, especially ones where she is looking to the side, leave more room where she is looking.</p>

<p>I think the lack of response might be because it is difficult to <em>teach</em> photography via a forum thread. And here, we have a whole portfolio to critique? Maybe start with one or two specific images. Viewing the link I see exposure issues, framing issues, white-balance issues and so on. It looks to me as the OP is someone who bought some equipment but not an education. If I give you a typewriter, could you write the next great novel? Probably not. Why? <em>Knowledge.</em> Merely owning a camera doesn't make one a photographer. Study lighting, study composition, study other art. We can't teach all of that in one post.</p>

<p>Matthew, thank you very much, lots of good stuff there to bring to the next attempt. I had an idea about the "shooting down" and will take the camera off the tripod for the next shoot. I'll post the results.</p>

<p>John, fair enough. I am using a lot of resources, books, etc and this forum is one. I appreciate your time and help.</p>

<p>How about three:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/13719692</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/13720172</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/13712136</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>#1 Let's start with the elephant in the room: the lighting is bad. The only thing the lighting is emphasizing is her mid section. It looks as though the image has been heavily manipulated so to be of any real help, I would want to see the image as shot for a lighting critique. You have one horizon line slicing through the top of her head and second distracting line cutting off her head.</p>

<p>#2 The light look a bit higher so that is good. I am not sure why you are using a small softbox? Still have to watch for dissecting lines. </p>

<p>For one & two, a single 580 (in a softbox no less) will be hard pressed to balance against the sun. And the softbox wasn't doing you any favors.</p>

<p>#3 I suppose what really bothers me about this image is that you want us to take our time to critique the image yet you can't take the time to iron the bed sheet? The first piece of advice for a shot like this is to simply move the subject <em>away</em> from the backdrop. In general, you want at least 3', more could be better. I would also straighten the image so it doesn't appear that the subject is falling backwards.</p>

<p>John, good stuff and noted. I've gotten a lot of feedback about the lighting on No. 1 not emphasizing her face so that is duly recorded in me brain. Just FYI, her and her boyfriend really like that one. Can't imagine how they'd like it if I'd done it more correctly. What can ya do? Thanks for the comment about the softbox, makes sense. I used one light and my thought process was to make the speedlight bigger, since it wouldn't be so close to her.</p>

<p>This is something I realized after seeing the images and I think goes towards your horizon line comment - I'm sure using a wider aperture would have removed that issue, no?</p>

<p>Ironing the background, haha, yeah, my bad and so simple. I don't have a lot of room in my apt (which is where the inside images were shot) but will definitely invest in an iron and get my subjects away from the background.</p>

<p>Here's another one they both really liked:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/13721252</p>

<p>So much to learn, but what a blast! Thanks for your comments and feedback.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I used one light and my thought process was to make the speedlight bigger, since it wouldn't be so close to her.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is a grain of truth in there. The principle is: the larger the relative light source in relationship to your subject, the softer the light. And vice versa. Using a 2'x3' softbox positioned a few feet away from your model does nothing to effectively <em>increase</em> the size of your light source because now the light source is <em>further</em> away. Think of the sun. The sun is huge, but because of it's distance, it is, on a cloudless day, a very small light source. You 2'x3' softbox needs to be very close to your subject to be of any value. In this case, a silver umbrella or even someone holding a gold reflector would have done a better job.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is something I realized after seeing the images and I think goes towards your horizon line comment - I'm sure using a wider aperture would have removed that issue, no?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Removed the dissecting lines? No. You need to reposition either the model or yourself. Shooting higher or lower will move those lines. As will moving the model.</p>

<p>As to the final shot, what lighting pattern were you striving for?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In this case, a silver umbrella or even someone holding a gold reflector would have done a better job.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Okay, I'll keep that in mind next time. I guess my thought was all out of whack as I was thinking using the speedlight without any kind of modifier would be even worse. Then again on No. 1 I ended up lighting her body instead of her face.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You need to reposition either the model or yourself. Shooting higher or lower will move those lines. As will moving the model.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Okay, gotcha. I'll be more attentive with those. I admit I was focusing on the lighting...and she was beginning to get cold so I was hurrying.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As to the final shot, what lighting pattern were you striving for?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This one was done earlier than the others. I wanted to get that nice little triangle on her right cheek that I've seen in other portraits. Is this not possible using a softbox, or with this subject as she has a somewhat roundish face? In any case if that area had been darker I think it would have been a stronger image, yes? Also, getting more sharpness in her eyes. I focused on her left eye but it still came out less than tack-sharp. I don't know if that's lighting or user/camera error.</p>

<p>Your feedback is very helpful though. Gives me a lot to go on this weekend when we go for round two. Thanks!</p>