DX prime lens... what would you REALLY buy

Peter_in_PA

<p>So... not a wish list of what you wish Nikon had in their catalog.</p>

<p>What DX prime lens, that does not yet exist, would you absolutely, positively buy if it were introduced tomorrow.</p>

<p>The rules? I'm glad you asked</p>

<p><em><strong>You can choose just one!</strong></em> And say what you'd spend on it. And it must not yet exist from Nikon. And it must be a prime. And you can have some "flexibility" in focal length and/or f/stop.</p>

<p>For me...</p>

<p>17mm (or 18mm) f3.5 (or even f4) TS lens under $750. f2.8 would be fine, too, but it must be under $750 US retail.</p>

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Peter, I don't know if the lens you want is possible, with a huge degree of retrofocus combined with T/S.</p>

<p>I would love to see a 50-150mm f/2.8 VR DX lens from Nikon. Would buy it in a second. Sorry, I'd have to buy a few more Nikon primes before wishing for a new one.</p>

<p>24 f/2. <br>

I would jump quickly on any wide prime. <br>

A micro 4/3 solution is looking more and more appealing for candid shooting with wide primes, but buying a smaller, lighter DX body than my D300 is more sensible for me for such use IF a viable prime kit existed with DX lenses delivering the size/weight reduction in the lens department.<br>

A DSLR could never be replaced for macro work for me & the tracking AF of the D300 is great for action. But I really miss an FM3A experience for candids and the missing ingredient is really lenses.</p>

<p>I second Keith with the 24/2 - I'd pay up to $400 I think... wonder how much the 35/2 went for new, if it tracked to that roughly I might pay more. No bigger than the current DX 35/1.8 though.</p>

<p>The longer than normal prime's are fairly well served in my opinion by the traditional FX lenses though some could use AF-S and or VR I guess.</p>

<p>I second Hector's 50-150mm f2.8 VR but not too big, maybe about the tokina 50-135mm and sigma 50-150mm sizes. Actually, I would be grateful if they made a modern version of their 75-150mm 3.5 E with AFS, VR etc...:)</p>

<p>Ooh Primes?...how about a 21mm f1.8 AFS VR under $500? You know...much like the recent 50 1.8G and 35 1.8G but wider and with VR. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Peter - I think it is telling that even posters in a forum like this gravitate towards zooms....even when it is explicitly against the rules!!</p>

<p>To answer your question though, I think I would seriously consider buying a 16mm f/4 prime and here is what I'd like it to look like:</p>

<ul>

<li>under $400</li>

<li>significantly smaller than any of the UWA zooms</li>

<li>good sharpness into the corners</li>

<li>good flare/ghosting performance</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<p>hector's lens already exists, except sigma makes it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Does it really, Eric? I have seen and heard announcements but does the OS/VR version actually exist somewhere? I can't seem to locate one...And the non VR/OS sigma is quite rare these days. Is it the quake? or have they abandoned DX to focus on the FX 70-200mm?</p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<p>I am really interested to see the 50-150 suggestion here. I have the previous Sigma 50-150 II and it is fantastic. I was quite surprised with how good the rendering / performance of the lens is @ 2.8. The out of focus areas are extremely well handled. I wouldn't trade this for the new Sigma OS or a Nikon VR until I had checked it out vs. what I have...if the new one is as good as the old Sigma will likely remain a great deal vs. anything nikon will offer here. I would expect the new Sigma to be great and to slot in a much more friendly price point than a nikkor. I have had very positive experiences with the Sigma 30 1.4 ( I have a the 35 DX nikkor 1.8 which I gave to my wife, as well) the 150 macro and the 50-150. Where there is a competent 3rd party offering I have less nikon need. Hmmm.... but from a nikon perspective about profitability, my gaps are not likely to be there's unfortunately. I think a fast wide nikkor prime would be a home run. B/c no one has this in a current offering (that is not FX and therefore much larger and more expensive than a DX design need be.)</p>

<div>00Z1zA-379007584.jpg.795efd516a5227ac2348301289e420f8.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>does the OS/VR version actually exist somewhere?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ah, leslie, well, the 50-150/2.8 OS was announced in Feb. 2011. but you are correct that it hasn't yet been released. i believe they discontinued the previous model pre-quake, and the quake may have slowed production of the new one, but lately sigma has been busy with $8k 'flagship' cameras which no one actually owns either.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Okay - Prime, Not currently in Nikon's Catalog - no brainer for me - </p>

<p>A 55 mm f1.4 DX - to get as close to the 85mm view as possible on a dx mount and not priced over $600.00 (US) - I'd buy in a heartbeat - as long as the bokeah is as good as the 85 f1.4 or 1.8. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, Canon makes a 17mm tilt/shift, so it is possible. The only thing impossible is the $750 price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. Unfortunately, a lot of the prices getting thrown around here are just unrealistic.</p>

<p><em>If Nikon could sell the D3X for $80 each, I would buy three.</em> But that is merely a totally meaningless statement.</p>

<p>I'm going through DX lens withdrawal with you guys talking about the Sigma 50-150. I dropped mine and bent the barrel a couple weeks ago in Monterrey and am now waiting for Sigma to return it after repair. It's a $300 repair but I couldn't find one on the Internet. They seem to be getting really rare. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>They seem to be getting really rare.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>the 50-150 is indeed a classic DX lens, if such a thing exists. keith's shot is really great and fairly representative of what that black beer can can do.</p>

<p>but i dont really want to hijack this thread talking about how great that lens is. It <em>is </em>interesting that many of the gaps in the nikkor lineup are already filled by lenses like tamron's 60/2 macro, sigma's 150 macro OS, the voigtlander 40/2 and 58/1.4, etc. in fact, the CV 58 comes in at almost $150 under david's max. cost. if you need AF, the 60/2 is even less expensive, with the current $100 rebate. even the new 40/2.8 macro fits a range and price point previously occupied by the tokina 35/2.8.</p>

<p>if nikon could do a 24/1.8 DX (non-VR) for under $400, or an 85/2 DC (DX) for under $750, they'd raise my eyebrow. but lenses like the 55-300 and 85/3.5 macro make me want to hit the snooze button.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A DX version of a 20mm AF D/ f2.8, so that would be 13 or 14mm<br>

AF-S if they could keep it small & light, otherwise screwdrive is fine<br>

Priced 300 euro's max<br>

(I know I can only pick one.... but my next would be 35mm/ f2 DX-equivalent)</p>