Imac 21,5 - Monitor question

<p>Hi! </p>

<p>I decided to buy my first Apple and it will probably be the smallest imac with 21,5. <br>

I know the monitor is glossy. I don't like it, nothing to do about it. The guy from Apple told me today that it's not the best solution for professional photography. I checked my website while I was in the store, it looked pretty much the same. Still, the guy said the colors are not as they should be. <br>

I guess lots of people here have apple products and work with macs. What do you think about it? How oft do you calibrate them? Are there any difference from you see and your prints / albums? </p>

<p>Thanks a lot! </p>

<p>it is a perfectly acceptable monitor, better when calibrated. the glossy could be a problem if you have a big window or over head light.. but if you can find a nice white wall behind you.. no problem. A monitor in my case is calibrated every 2-4week... regular user could do it every 3-4month, even twice a year.. but since a device cost around 250$ (spider3 pro or i prefer the i1display2) why not take 5min every month and do it ; )</p>

<p>If you have a calibrated monitor with a standard (i use 6500k, gamma 2.2 and 110 luminosity) what you see will be what you get IF you or the lab know how to correctly print.. i do.</p>

<p>You can get buy just fine with a glossy monitor as long as no peripheral lighting is causing reflections. This will always include light sources directly behind you and may include any overhead light and/or window light to your front bouncing of the walls or even light reflecting off the shirt you're wearing. No need to work only at night in a dark room while wearing a burka however.<br>

My iMac calibrates easily with an eye1display2, once a month or whenever I start a significant project (it only takes about 10minutes). I've cranked down the luminance to 90 candle/whatever but I am a little dismayed that the screen brightness can accidentally be bumped up or down by the simple brush of a finger across the F1 or F2 keys. I make a mental note of where the brightness slider (under Display Preferences) is positioned and visually check it frequently. <br>

I get my prints through mpix and the color is great (not 100% exact but just fine for me). The contrast in my B&W prints seems to get bumped up a little so I've learned to send them an ever-so-slightly flat image. So far so good. <br>

Take pictures NOW. Make your best prints NOW. The files will always be there for you to print again when this whole industry, camera to print, gets a tighter hold on consistency and image quality.</p>

<p> </p>

Just checked out the 21.5" and 27" glossy screen iMacs at Best Buy and I have to agree with you, Catalin. The reflections on the glossy screen of background objects and patterns in my shirt under store light was quite a distraction and takes some getting used to. I had to constantly force myself to see pass these reflections, but then Best Buy is quite bright and well lit. Both iMacs had their brightness slider maxed out.... If I get one of these, I may have to wear black and put a black curtain behind me. Both are beautifully designed works of art. They made all the other electronic devices in the store seem inferior. I don't know how Apple does that. I just wanted it and I couldn't figure out why. That's scary.

<p>I just bought the Imac. The reflection is not a problem. It looks pretty bad in the stores, I think. I bought mein from a Saturn and having the windows in my back really made the reflections pretty strong. But once I got home and put it on my desk I would say it's not so bad and I guess it takes some time to get used to it. <br>

Unfortunately I don't have yet a calibrator. I'll buy one soon hoping that what I see I'll have on my prints too. </p>

To get a good idea how it calibrates google Rob Galbraith 21.5" iMac review and Northlight image review of the Spyder3 Elite. Although I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem calibrating it with any hardware calibration package of choice. It's color gamut is slightly larger than sRGB enough to the point it will produce gorgeous cyans, oranges and yellows more so when editing in ProPhotoRGB Raw in ACR/LR. I have the original 2004 G5 iMac and its color gamut is close to the newest iMac but just a bit smaller but still slightly larger than sRGB and I get these intense colors, but when I convert to sRGB they go slightly dull.