Do you still archive?

<p>Well I do; and I'm very happy with that. Like most of us , I shoot digital (K10D) but when it comes to archiving the hard copies, I discovered that my albums of travels- family and holiday events came out from film cameras. I rearranged my photo albums in this week, filled in memo notes, smellt my -one to 10 years old - negatives. Hmmm, it was a pleasure, a taste surrounded my mind , old pages reappeared deep in my brain. Once more, remembered how I loved my <em>Spotmatic, Pentax ME, Kiev 4</em> and <em>FED 3</em>. Again and again; rather than a spare K10D battery, using as a savior , how useful was the Kodak ready to shoot cameras.<br /><strong>Pleasure, it was all pleasure</strong>. These are what I felt, and hope you do still... Just wanted to share... MF...</p><div>00Z0tr-377933584.JPG.326abfd79f71ccb6d193471ee72d3f03.JPG</div>

I recently freed up some wall space in the bedroom and decided to add some framed photos. I have been scrounging and scanning some (20 to 40 year) old Kodachrome slides from the box under the bed for that purpose. Now if I can get decent prints and frame them properly ----.

<p>Yes - the prints that were so abundant up to a decade ago, and now the digital archives for the many photos that will never be printed. Somewhere in a thread here in the past year I commented that I believe the vast majority of photos taken in the 20th century are already lost; and the same goes for this century with digital photos. This hobby has been too important for me for too long not to care about the output, both hard and soft copy.</p>

<p>I love still making prints from my digital photos. For one thing, I know a lot of people do a lot of digital backups... and I do too. But I only make dvd copies every couple of months of the new photos, but having hard copies... yes they will fade but, so will I.</p>

<p>There is just something about going to the lab and picking up prints that you start to love (film or digital).</p>

<p>I'm digital only, and I put all mt trust in the saying "you can't delete anything from the internet". Take Geocities for example. Days before the owners pulled the plug there was a coordinated effort to save the data. Independent people pulled out all the content and were working on the indexes when they were shut down. Can you imagine what would happen if Yahoo tried to delete Flickr?<br>

All the same, I have multiple backup drives, and I back those up to an external site... which does backups of its own. My photos will be OK as long as I'm alive, and if my family can find my passwords... a good deal longer.<br>

The way I see it is my volumes of photos are raw material only - a source of data to draw from when I want to make something special - a book, a poster, a photo mug, or even a few prints for someone. I'm not eager to add to the waste of space photo albums and drawers of negatives I have from the 80' & 90's. I pity whoever I leave behind because they will have to deal with all that material. I suspect it will end up being tossed out or donated to government archives and let them deal with it. It would be better to have them all backed up to digital and online.<br>

Soon everyone will have a 'device' and they can just browse my stream to see my photos. If a giant EMP hits earth and all data is lost, we will be so close to the end that not even paper copies will be of use to anyone.</p>