travel advice - avoiding disappointment (Hasselblad)

sallymack

I'm planning a trip from my home in northern California to Northern Ireland in December and need advice on what to do now in order to avoid

disappointment travelling with my Hasselblad 500 C/M. I like the Hasselblad and the results I get with it.<br>

<br>

I've purchased <a href="http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=photo&p_Id=229">rain gear</a> for the camera (and myself, of

course) and have three lenses (80mm, 150mm, 50mm). For flying, as of now, I'm planning to travel with the camera on board in a Pelican

case, tripod in suitcase. I'll carry film on-board with me, hoping to avoid as many x-rays as possible.<br>

<br>

Last year when I got to Scotland, I discovered that only one of my lenses would click onto the camera, the other two apparently had gotten

damaged in transit. They'd worked fine before I left home, they were not in the Pelican case. Upon returning home, I discovered that one of the magazines had sprung a light leak. There was no way of knowing that while travelling, dicovered it to my disappointment when I had the film processed when I returned home.<br>

<br>

The two lenses were repaired and now work properly. The third lens never had any problem. As far as I know, the camera works fine but I've

had it for several years and have not had a CLA. Should I send it in? Even with new light seals in magazines, are there "extra steps" I can

take to make sure that there will be no light leaks? I have three 120 backs and two 220, haven't decided which ones to take, yet. My back-up camera will be a Canon G-12 which I am struggling to learn how to use.<br>

<br>

Is there anything you would recommend that I do now to make sure everything will work properly with the Hasselblad during my trip?<br>

<br>

Looking forward to your answers! Thanks. --Sally

<p>I think you've got it covered but do some tests before you go though by running a few rolls of film through all the different backs/lenses etc to ensure all the kit works together so you're 100% sure. I would also recommend a second body. <br />I went to Cuba and dropped my Hasselblad. The front shade smashed and the mirror sticks every once in a while but other than that I was quite lucky.<br />I would recommend carrying everything on the plane with you as you have suggested. I would take as many backs as you want to carry, more the better. You can always leave one or 2 at the place you're staying and simply travel light on trips out if needed. Better to have too much than not enough given the distance!<br />Have a good trip.</p>

<p>I always carry my camera with me on aircraft, baggage handlers may not be as careful with your gear as you are. Maybe it is a little easier for me because I only carry a Rolleicord and a few accessories. If you are carrying film, don't put it in the check in baggage because it will be subjected to radiation when your bags are x-rayed for security. X-rays are cumulative and heavy doses are not good for film.<br>

Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>Check the carry-on requirements (number and weight) with your airline. Some European carriers insist on a single carry-on item (which includes the "personal item"), and they weigh them. I had to check my carry-on bag for the return flight because I also had a small backpack.</p>

<p>How valuable is the trip to you?<br>

If it is valuable, you might consider CLA the Hasselblad body the 3rd lens that wasn't CLAed and the three A12 backs. IOW everything that might fail and ruin the trip.<br>

You could simply shoot a roll thru each mag and process them to test the mags for light leaks.<br>

Make sure that you test everything AFTER the CLA. There can still be problems after a CLA. This way you can get it back to the shop to get it fixed before you leave.</p>

<p>For light leaks, if you are not sure that the light trap in your backs are 100% effective you ca use a ring cutted away from a wheel tube. You obtain an elastic ring 1 or 2 cm large that you can use to cover the dark slide slot and the conjuction camera - back. It's easyly removable when you need to change back or to reload it. I'm not sure I explained clearly, with a picture could be easier but i have not at the moment.</p>

If the body and the lenses are in good shape, they do not require anything more than a good case.<br>But i do change the magazine dark slide slots seals before each and every 'expensive photo opportunity'. If you cut the foams yourself, it's extremely cheap (the foils don't need replacing unless they are damaged) and very easy (and quick) to do.

<p>I travelled for years with a Bronica 6x6 system including several lenses, prism, meter etc in a Lowepro bag. I never had any damage in transit. There's no reason to haul a Pelican around just for the journeys. As others indicate though, I always carried a backup body. </p>

<p>If you get equipment serviced before you go, then do so in plenty of time to try it all out, right through to getting film processed, before you go. </p>

<p>I love Ireland and I'm sure you will have a good time, but, travel gear issues need to be based on the type and the purpose of your photos. So what do you plan to shoot? How important are the photos? Can you return to a location if necessary?<br>

The G12 is a great camera and by December Canon might have a G13?</p>

<p>You are hauling a load. You'll have more fun with less weight.</p>

<p>It is best to carry all your cameras & lenses as carry on luggage. As for x-rays: the xray machine at carry on luggage is weaker or more sophisticated than the one used for luggage, which is stronger. Best to carry your film in the carry on luggage along with the camera. </p>

Thanks for your answers. I've traveled before with the Hasselblad, both with a Pelican case and a Lowepro bag. A back-up body, that's a good suggestion (especially since I already have one). I tested everything before my trip to Scotland and still had problems, so, there's obviously more I can do.<br>

<br>

Great idea, <b>Diego</b>! I'll try it.<br>

<br>

The type and purpose of my photos? Mostly I shoot landscapes, black-and-white and color. The purpose is fun, although I'll probably wind up exhibiting the photos. I love the Hasselblad and don't mind lugging it around. The pictures are important if for no other reason than sentimentally. I won't be able to return to a location easily if the film gets fogged or has light leaks. But, I plan to stay in several locations for several days each, so I'll be able to take similar pictures in different light, from different angles, using different magazines.<br>

<br>

I'm still struggling with the G12, have no desire to purchase a new digital camera when I have a Hasselblad. ; ) --Sally

<p>I travelled for years with medium format gear,lenses, tripod, etc. Most of the time I was fiddling with the gear and not learning much about what I was seeing. My wife and made a recent trip to Holland and Belgium. This time she insisted thaI travel light so she bought me a Canon G12. I had a thoroughly delightful time and got more wall hangers than I have space for ( they are now hanging in my daughter's new home) to say nothing of finally coming home with no back pain. That being said, I have reserved my Hasselblad and Mamiya 7 ll for landscape work in the Los Padres National Forest which borders on my property in California. Here I can take my time, put my gear in the wagon, and pretty much drive where I need to be. Well I'm 83 so if you're young and vigorous go for it. Nothing like a B&W 16x20 out of a medium format negative. Using the G12 with RAW output and NIKS Silver Efex software I was able get very nice 11x14 B&W prints out of my Epson 3880. So don't write off the G12. I'm tired of the film vs digital debate; they both have thir purpose.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know if any of the planes you will be on are those little ones where the overhead compartments are too small for typical carry-ons. If so, you will be asked to "gate check" your camera case -- they put it in with the other luggage, and you pick up as soon as you get off the plane (not in usual baggage pick-up area).</p>

<p>I got into trouble on my last trip where I had to gate check my carry-on. My laptop was in it, and I thought it was well-protected (was inside padded case inside the semi-hard carry-on), but it got damaged during gate check and was totally ruined. Fortunately insurance covered it. It sounds like your camera equipment will be in a hard case, but keep this possibility of gate check in mind. Things that are gate-checked are thrown around just like regular checked baggage. I don't think I would want my Hassy and lenses gate-checked, even if in hard case.</p>

<p>Fortunately, my camera and lenses were in a small enough case that I could fit under the seat. I have decided I will always keep my camera bag to that size so I will never have to let it out of my hands during a trip. I am also going switch to a hard case (that will fit under seat). Cases can really get roughed up even in overhead compartments with people shoving them around, jamming their cases in. </p>

<p>I agree that you should take your Hassy. If it were me, I'd try to just take one lens, though, to lighten the load and lessen the decisions during trip. Have a great time. I loved my trip to Ireland years ago! </p>

<p>Oh...and you might want to see about insuring your equipment or checking if it's covered by your homeowner's insurance if you own home. Insurance really saved me when my top-of-the-line laptop was ruined.</p>

<p>The problem with underseat storage even on a larger plane (Boeing or AirBus) is the space under many seats is not as big as they used to be or what is stated as being "underseat" size. A lot of the space has been taken up with the electronic box used for the in-seat video display. If you are lucky you will be behind a seat that does not have the box under it. Also the aisle and window seats have smaller under seat storage. Also I have checked various airlines, and many have different max dimensions for carry-on luggage. So there is no standard under-seat luggage dimension.</p>

<p>It's true, it's hard to get a fix on what will fit under a seat. But I have been on enough trips on various airlines that I know what works for me (I can give those dimensions if anyone's interested). You are right about the middle seat having the most space under seat. Too bad.....middle seat worst otherwise!</p>

<p>X-rays used to scan checked in luggage most definitely WILL damage your film. Hand luggage x-rays are different, and all but the very fastest of films will endure several passes without noticeable effect. Sending any valuable items down inside checked luggage may not be there when you arrive. Most airlines advise against it, by way of fine print somewhere in the booking process.<br>

Put each lens in a plastic ziplock purse (freezer type plastic bags) and then in it's own individual case if you can afford. Use lens caps at both ends. Zip locks are a good barrier against excessive moisture and or fine dust (in the case of desert trips) Additional ziplocks are very handy for film too, and for the cheese sandwich you grabbed on the way out.<br>

If I am at a busy airport with a nice looking camera bag, such a the Lowepro I bought for the first 500C outfit 15 years ago, I now put that bag in a crappy looking plastic shopping bag. Because on the trip back to Australia with that outfit, and my then 3 year old son, the Lowepro was slipped out from under the seat in front of me, whilst getting the young fellow ready to go, and the Hasselblad was off the plane before us, and gone. Disappointment? (deep sigh) Yep: 500C beautifully restored as new, at Hasselblad Göteborg, a gorgeous Chrome 80 mm T* C, 2 A12 mags and a 16s, filters, my first Gossen Sixtar ... still hurts to recall in detail.<br>

Take care, take precautions, and don't take too much gear. 2 or 3 mags is plenty.<br>

Have fun, and take photos ;-)<br>

Here is a thread about <a href="../black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00VHbv">airport x-rays</a> and film.<br /> <br /> Cheers, Kevin</p>

<p>I learned from an early age (15) that cameras will break down on important trips. I went with my highschool photo class to new york city and within 10 minutes of the bus dropping us off at Rockefeller plaza my canon AE-1 died. When I went to Mississippi for 2 months a couple of years back my crown graphic 4x5 fell off the tripod (quick release plate not fully engaged) and smashed the graflok back on the third day, luckily I had learned my lesson early and had a backup crown to harvest parts from with me. Most recently my original canon 5d chose to have its infamous reflex mirror problem at the Bottomless Lakes, outside of Roswell New Mexico on a cross country trip and I was glad I had my canon g11 as backup. It doesn't matter if your are a professional or a amateur photographer, nothings worse than having the photo itch with nothing to scratch it.</p>