OM-3 exposure compensation question

eric_s7

<p>I have a used OM-3 which I bought some time ago. I downloaded its manual (for both the original and the Ti versions) to learn to use its advanced functions, but unfortunately it is not very helpful in certain areas, so I would like to seek help from you OM experts here. I noticed that the camera has the exposure compensation function which is actuated through the ISO dial, like many other cameras. From my observation turning the dial only affects the reading in the viewfinder, and the actual compensation has to be done by manually adjusting the shutter-speed or aperture controls. The problem is, how can compensations of less than one complete stop be done on this camera, as both the shutter and aperture controls do not allow partial adjustments. I would like to believe that if the function is available on the ISO/ expensation compensation dial, there must be a way to actually use it. Otherwise the exposure compensation dial would be nothing more than a dummy dial. The instruction manual is silent on this. Does anyone know something about this? Many thanks in advance for any useful information that you provide.</p>

<p>I have never used a OM-3, but as it is a fully manual camera there is no other way than compensate with the shutter-speed or aperture settings. You can choose aprox. half stops with just setting the aperture somewhere between the full stops, but I guess that's all you can do. Don't know what type of film you use, but negative films are forgiving, so you will probably get along with this, like legions of amateurs and pros before, and even slides can handle a half stop.</p>

<p>By changing the exposure control setting, you're effectively changing the set ISO, and basically fooling the camera meter into believing that the camera is loaded with a different film. So, let's say you're using 100 ISO film, and you want to underexpose by a 1/3 stop. You turn the compensation dial by 1 click. The meter now thinks you're using ISO 125 film, and the meter will recommend a different aperture/shutter speed combination accordingly. Since it's a manual camera, you have to implement the changes that the meter recommends, but if you do set the controls to expose for the camera's recommended "ISO 125" exposure, you will have underexposed the shot by a predictable and repeatable 1/3 stop. Even in the absence of a specific exposure compensation feature, there's nothing to stop the photographer manipulating the camera's meter by changing the ISO setting up or down. The only thing the exposure compensation mechanism does is that it notifies you that the ISO setting <em>has</em> been changed from the set value, so that you don't forget to change it back to the set value when you're finished screwing around with the exposure.<br /> Of course, adjusting by something as small as a 1/3 stop can be tricky with a manual camera, but almost every aperture ring can be set between whole stop "clicks", so a 1/2 or less stop is achievable. Remember that, unlike most manual shutters, which only offer discrete speeds, the aperture is continuously variable, in that the "clicks" are really only there to mark whole values, but any value in between clicks can also be set. Tweaking the exposure by a small value is obviously easier in an automatic camera, as the electronic shutter speed is usually stepless.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, Stefan and John.<br>

Stefan, I didn't know that it is possible to turn the aperture ring to somewhere between between full stops. Unlike lenses on other cameras such as Pentax, Canon FD or Rollei 35, there are no "click-stops" at intermediate positions on the Zuiko ones. Can you actually release the shutter when the aperture had not clicked onto its position? Yes, I know that there is not much impact from half a stop's difference, but I believe there must be certain situation where some people would insist on a spot on exposure, or otherwise, why would other camera makers provide such capability on their cameras?<br>

John, suppose the of the dash in the viewfinder is less than a stop from the center, how do you bring it to the center? Turning the aperture or shutter one complete stop brings the dash slightly to the left or right from the center.</p>

<p>Sanford - I agree to a point - the OM-3 VF display is good enough so that you always know where you are, exposure-wise. That being said, there may be a time when you want to consistently override the meter to the same degree over a number of shots, and the exp. compensation allows you to do this, while, as I said before, making sure that you don't forget to reset the ISO to the nominal speed when you're finished messing with the exposure. Given that the OM-3/4 metering system is so comprehensive in every other respect, it seems reasonable to include this facility, but, in the end, you don't have to use it - it's just an extra ring around the ISO dial, after all, so it's not like it adds extra complication to the operation of the camera.<br /> However, all that being said (again), the beauty of a manual mechanical camera is it's bare-bones simplicity. While exp. comp. can be useful, it isn't necessary. In every other respect, the OM-3 is fairly stripped down compared with other high end mechanical SLRs (no multiple exposure, self timer), so losing the exp. compensation dial would distill it down even further - closer in spirit to an OM-1, but with that phenomenal metering system.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>You make it sound like some sort of contortionist's performance to do double exposures on an OM3. <br>

You simply snug up the rewind knob and hold it firmly, press the rewind button and advance the shutter. No special dexterity required.</p>

<p>No argument from me - my point was that the OM-3 is bereft of some features, such as a multi-exposure facility or a self-timer, found on other high end manual cameras. I wasn't commenting on whether these features were actually necessary - just that the OM-3 didn't have them.</p>