What's Next from Nikon--and do i need it?

eric_arnold

<p>Thom Hogan also says in his post that "The answer to the "why 24mp question" suddenly becomes simple if you add binning to the mix: you potentially get a D400h and D400x all in one package. "</p>

<p>Why is this an obvious answer, and how does binning change the game?</p>

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Dorothy L. Sayers argued that ... "angels are pure intelligences, not material, but limited, so that they have location in space, but not extension." Sayers compares the question (how many angels can dance on the point of a needle? - or the head of a pin, as frequently quoted in discussions of medieval scholasticism) to that of how many people's thoughts can be concentrated upon a particular pin at the same time. She concludes that an infinity of angels can be located on the head of a pin, since they do not occupy any space there.<br>

Roy</p>

<p>Tom Rhyne - As I understand it from Hogan’s description, “binning” is combining data from multiple photo sites for one pixel, effectively creating a bigger photo site and reducing the pixel density. The same camera can have both low high-ISO noise and high resolution (but not at the same time).<br>

In an earlier post in this thread, I thought I came up with this idea to suggest to Nikon. (Sorry for the presumption.) I didn’t know whether the electronics is fast enough for high fps or whether the idea has any merit. I was funny to learn from Thom Hogan’s post three days later that this is an old idea. He said the ancient D1 was permanently binned. I don’t understand the reason for permanent binning, though. Why not just make the photosites bigger and save the extra wiring to collect light even more efficiently??</p>

<p>I like the D300s but I want better high ISO performance for wildlife. I'd take a D400 with 16 or more MP and improved high ISO noise.<br>

I like the D3X (love it, actually), but want a clean sensor.<br>

AF could be improved in all current Nikons.<br>

Bring them on, Nikon!</p>