Continious shooting

simon_t1

<p>What card are you using now? Can you provide any more details about how you're shooting (frame rate? RAW vs. JPG?) and what sort of performance you're getting now? Is every shot slow, or just after a certain number, as the buffer fills?</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply, I use a normal 16G Sandisk SDHC. and recently seen the Lexar which states that its a 133x speed and was thinking of purchasing one if it meets my expectations (the above question). By the way for continious shooting JPG only. The rest RAW.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is every shot slow, or just after a certain number, as the buffer fills?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes after a number of seconds, its ok for me, but just thought if the card mentioned would make any difference before purchasing it, otherwise a normal SDHC will do.</p>

<p>Be sure to purchase your memory cards from an authorized dealer. Supposedly, up to 30% of ScanDisk branded cards are counterfeit and can cause functionality problems in your camera. Check the makers web site for an authorized dealer list. Amazon and eBay have apparently been an outlet for a lot of counterfeit cards.</p>

<p>When you need more speed get a camera that has larger internal buffer, and support for Compact Flash cards.</p>

<p>If it is just an example: "<em>on for example the D7000</em>" - make an example for D300S, D700, D3S, ...</p>

<p>The Compact Flash (CF) cards have wider input/output bus, and some Nikon cameras allow simultaneous parallel memory write operation, with compatible CF cards. This allows 4 bytes of data to transfer with a single memory timming pulse/cycle. This is something that SD cards are not capable for, since they can only pass a byte at a time over the narrower bus.</p>

<p>After CF cards were advertised for extra speed with the Paralled Write, makers or vendors of SD cards started also the same advertising possibility of Paralle Write for SD cards, something that makes liittle or no sense for SD cards.</p>

<p>The UHS has potentials of using the UHS-1 transfer mode supports up to 104MB/s and there’s even an UHS-II mode standard (or proposition) that triples that rate to 312MB/s.</p>

<p>Since D7000 supports UHS-1 as stated, then SD cards up to 104 MB/s could possibly work, but those are not listed in the brand of supported cards.</p>

<p>By the full use of the width of input/output bus, CF technology could be faster (perhaps by 4x) than an equivalent SD card technology.</p>

<p>Robert, where did you see the information on "30% of Sandisk cards being counterfeit"? This could explain why I've had bad experiences with Sandisk in the past. But if Sandisk is being so targeted by fakers, then it surely makes sense to buy A.N.Other make of card that doesn't charge a premium price and isn't such an attractive proposition to forge.</p>

<p>Simon, I posted a similar question about CF cards a short time ago. I actually noticed no improvement in going from 133x cards to 200x. That rating, however, is given only for the <em>read</em> speed of cards. The makers generally say nothing about the write speed, so it's worth doing a bit of web research to see if anyone's done any actual practical tests or reviews of the particular make and type of card you're thinking of buying. <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007">Here's</a> a good place to start.</p>