EF / EF-S on 7d?

phyliss_crowe

<p>Do <strong>all </strong>Canon EF / EF-S lenses function properly on the 7D or just some of them? I’ve been reading conflicting information all over the place. Such as the Sigma AF 28-105 f/2.8-4 Aspherical. Some say it’s strictly for Canon film cameras. I think this version came out around 2005? If so, why wouldn’t it function on a DSLR? </p>

<p>My kid’s girlfriend has a 7D, which we know nothing about as we’ve never fooled with it. She just got it (without kit lenses). You touch, you dies!</p>

<p>Specifically, I’m looking for 28/35 on the wide end (maybe 24 if the price won’t break her bank) to 105/135 on the long end. This will be used at a brightly lit indoor Pow Wow in a large arena where we will be able to get to floor level and rub elbows with the dancers so no flash will be necessary at all and easy closeups.</p>

<p>F/4 maximum aperture will be plenty open enough. I know that because we visited our local zoo this weekend and got some very good shots of night creatures in their dimly lit indoor exhibit with f/4 Sigmas. This arena will be lit like practically daylight.</p>

<p>No L glass yet. Gotta pay that tuition first.</p>

<p>She has an older Sigma 70-300 APO DG that communicates perfectly, but it’s too long for this event. So which older Canon brand short to medium M/AF telephotos will properly communicate with her camera?</p>

<p>TIA!</p>

<p>All Canon-brand EF and EF-S lenses should work on the 7D. Considering the budget restrictions, you might want to look into the EF 28-135mm or the EF-S 18-135mm. They aren't the best lenses around, but they're not bad at all, and they are priced affordably.</p>

<p>Lenses for Canon cameras from other manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina can sometimes have compatibility problems with cameras that are newer than the lenses themselves. The problem is that Canon has never publicly documented how to make an EF-compatible lens. The specifications are secret. Third-party lens makers have to figure out on their own how to make their lenses work with Canon's cameras, and they don't always do it very well. Sigma in particular is notorious for their lenses not working on camera models that weren't yet available when the lens was introduced. Sometimes you can get the manufacturer to "re-chip" the lens for better compatibility, but they usually stop offering that service for a given lens some time after the lens is discontinued.</p>

<p>At this point, a Sigma lens from 2005 is about six years old. There have been a lot of new Canon DSLR models since then that Sigma couldn't possibly have tested the lens on in 2005. Odds are that the lens will work, but I'd feel safer with a Canon-brand lens, or even a Tokina or Tamron.</p>

<p>If you have a crop model like the 7D the EF-S type lens will be the better value, e.g. Canon 18-55IS, 18-135IS, etc. but all EF and EF-S lens work. For other manufacturers look at the designation, Sigma has "DC", Tamron uses "Di" to designate lens specially designed for the smaller APS-C sensor.<br>

I don 't know about that lens but I've been using Sigma and Tamron lens on a crop model for years with no problems</p>

<p>With the crop, I'd probably say a 17-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM would meet your stated needs just fine, the effective FOV (35mm equiv) is 28-135mm. It's not the best lens (optically speaking) but can be had for ~$250 easily. Unfortunately the (much better) 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM on the crop gives ~45mm-216mm which is a bit on the long end.</p>

<p>Of course if the budget doesn't allow for $250, for $100-150, a 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS (which is a standard kit lens for most rebels) is a surprisingly good lens and will give 90% of the coverage you are asking for.</p>

<p>There's also the possibility of a 2-lens setup, with the Canon 18-55 and the 55-250. They're fairly inexpensive and give a good range of focal lengths, and the image quality is good, and better than she'll likely be able to get with a superzoom.</p>

<p>Phyliss,</p>

<p>To answer your question, specifically. All <strong>Canon</strong> EF and EF-s lenses will work on the 7D, without exception. Third party lenses are not 100%, Sigma particularly with older EF mount lenses, had compatibility issues. Some earlier Sigma EF lenses will not work on modern/current EF bodies, the shorthand way of saying that is DSLR's.</p>

<p>Okay, you’ve all been extremely helpful, and I sincerely appreciate it!</p>

<p>She does want to go with Canon brand lenses and has narrowed her search to these “eBay regulars”. They’re all listed as EF and USM as well. So she’s good to go with any one of them provided the lenses themselves are 100% functional?</p>

<p>28-90mm f/4-5.6<br>

28-105mm f/3.5-4.5<br>

28-105 mm f/4.0-5.6<br>

28-135mm f/3.5-5.6</p>

<p>35-105mm f/3.5-4.5<br>

35-135mm f/4-5.6</p>

<p>Some of those are better than others. Most of those are very old, and date back to the late 80s and early 90s when the EOS system first came out. It was the infancy of zoom lenses. A lot has changed in the last two decades in terms of optical design and lens coatings.</p>

<p>In short, mounting something like a 24-90 to a 7D would be like putting wooden cartwheels on a Honda CR-Z. It'll get you moving forward but that's about it.</p>

<p>Be sure to check keh.com for used gear. Don't overpay for a 80s relic on ebay.</p>

<p>Thanks, Arie. I do check keh often.</p>

<p>Just read this article:<br>

<a href="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox2.htm"><br />http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox2.htm</a></p>

<p>and according to the author, Canon didn't cease production of the EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 until 2008 and that they updated it in 2000 and gave it the added moniker of "II". I believe that focal length would be pretty spot on for what she needs for this event. The author doesn't say if this lens retained the additional II designation through end of production, and I haven't come across one yet with it. </p>

<p>With Vivitars, you can pretty much determine the decade and even the year and month, more or less, of their lens' production from their serial numbers. Is there any way to tell approximately what era other older Canon lens come from? Have been trying to find something of a Canon lens history website with pictures but not pulling up much so far.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>If you go to a Canon only forum like http://photography-on-the.net/forum you can find more info on Canon lens but why are you even considering those old lens? Check the image resolution charts at http://www.photozone.de - all the newer lens made for digital are much better. Even the ultra cheap 18-55IS kit lens is so much better than anything on that list!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>18-55 will probably not cover all her needs for this Pow Wow. I've got one for my Pentax so I'm familiar with the zoom range. And since I've been to this Pow Wow at this location before, I'm pretty sure that lens will be a little too wide and short.</p>

<p>Why am I considering these older lenses? Because we’re on a somewhat limited student budget at this time. Once my son’s girlfriend is finished with college and becomes a working professional, she will be able to afford the higher cost professional lenses necessary for her work. These inexpensive older lenses give her a cost effective avenue of experimentation, growth, and learning.</p>

<p>Across the many resources I frequent in my research of potential purchases (eBay, keh, other forums, flickr, photosig, the Google machine, etc.), some of these lenses have proven themselves to still be relevant to a large number of Canon users. Consumers mostly, yes. But this lets her experiment to try to find what works for her, what doesn't, what lets her have fun with her camera while moving toward becoming a for-profit photographer.</p>

<p>(Last night, I found Canon’s camera/lens museum at their website. Awesomeness!)</p>

<p>All of my target lenses are inexpensive enough that if we decide they don't work for us, we can throw them back out on eBay with sufficient confidence that we will at least break even on the sale and can afford to move on to the next one.</p>

<p>Canon ceased production of the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM (II) in 2008, which means it was in continuous production for around 10 years or more, which means even Canon believed it was a relevant (and profitable) lens and users bore that out, else it would have been discontinued ages ago; 2008 is not old.</p>

<p>Thank you for the link; we will definitely visit it before she makes her final decision on this purchase.</p>

<p>Appreciate all your input, folks! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>yes, be sure to check out<em><strong> both</strong></em> links, you will find the 18-55IS ($100) and 55-250IS ($150) sharper with better image resolution on a DSLR crop model (and probably cheaper) than anything on that list. </p>