4th of July with Voigtlander Bessa

<p>I like to post some shots I took on my outings with manual cameras from time to time. This time I took my Bessa 6x9 to the 4th of July parade in Prospect Heights. They started to line up from Wolf and Camp McDonalds rd is someone is familiar with the area and proceeded down Camp McDonalds. I shot a roll of Ilford Delta 100 with 4.5*6 mask on to get more frames. The film was developed in Ilfosol and scanned on Epson V500. I still need to work on my focusing with this bessa as I get OOF shots from time to time. I hope you will enjoy my shots as much as I enjoy shooting this camera.<br>

Picture #1 shows an old Police car leading the parade.</p><div>00Z0FY-377189584.jpg.12ac7ea581d962a4e15d3216a52527e6.jpg</div>

<p>Prospect Heights, IL only has 17K + residents so the parade was not that elaborate but it was fun to watch. The firetrucks had their sirens on and my wife and I were worried that our one year old would get scared but she was a sport and looked at them with the "dropped jaw".</p><div>00Z0Fd-377193584.jpg.d4f366ec71b9c8f8661bd809ce1c2291.jpg</div>

<p>After all was over we went out for a walk to a local park where I spotted this nice young lady reading her book and asked her if I would take her picture. I guess with camera like Bessa people do not see you as threat and pose without too many issues.</p>

<div>00Z0Fl-377197584.jpg.a22fd93cdba5ae0fcfadb1aba06f61b4.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for sharing those with us - and good point about the perception of a "guy with an OLD camera" being much different than a "guy with a camera":)<br>

I especially like the shot of the girl on the bench, lovely pose, very natural. Gotta love the firetrucks too - all that chrome!</p>

<p>I said it before and I'll say it again, old cameras make great ice-breakers.<br>

There's something less threatening about a guy ( or gal) with brass/glass/chrome than a photog with a big-arse DSLR and monstrous white lens. More people are willing to be "immortalized on silver" with a classic. Somehow it's more special , precious, and touches a nerve that some plastic-clad computerized camera can't ever achieve. <br>

Glad to see you exercised the Bessa this past 4th, Kris. Fine selection of photos you've posted.... even if you consider a 90s Crown Vic "old". <br>

Remeber the old saying, "f/8 and be there".... that should cure some of your OOF shots. The more you practice using scale focusing lenses, the easier it becomes judging distances and knowing how to take advantage of hyperfocal mode of shooting.<br>

~ Slightly off-topic : Have you shot 35mm in the 635 ? </p>

<p>@Gabor- It is thanks to you I like my Bessa so much, you gave me lots of tips in our email exchange a while back. Thank you. I didn't realize the Crown Vic was 90's I though it was late 70's or 80's well cars have never been my forte. As for 635 I do not have a kit to shoot 35mm on it, looking on ebay the prices for the kit are as high as for the camera itself. I think I am getting better when it comes to focusing those old lenses I remember my first roll 6x9 had 1/2 OOF images now it's only 1 or maybe 2 so progress there. <br>

I got another Bessa accoding to it's serial # it's 1935 or 36 I will load a roll and see how it preforms.</p>