How to turn off broken M8 LCD?

liviu

<p>hello!</p>

<p>I have one m8 with a broken lcd. I would like to have your advice on how to turn the damaged lcd off completely, so that it will not use the battery at all. <br>

I can't use the lcd to do the selection, so its either a sequence of buttons pushed that someone who has a working m8 could help me with, or something else. I use leica digital capture to set up the iso etc, but I see the lcd turning on with light after every shot and would love to cut it off completely.<br>

Thanks for your advice.</p>

<p>Well, that is the zen path: to repair a cracked screen just to turn it off. <br>

For the time being, I'm looking for a mundane scenario: to turn it off either via USB or via pressing buttons in an educated "blind" way. <br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Fellows,<br>

I am using this camera. Its a good body, I'm confortable with it. Never had digital before so I am not very limited by this accident. Maybe I'll fix it at some point in the future, as I admit this is the best option. Yet, for the time being, I'd like to just turn the lcd off completely :) Right now it is just eating precious juice out of the battery.<br>

Fixing it is an option, but not that immediate, I'm afraid. So is the M9 :)<br>

Thanks all!</p>

<p> </p>

Maybe Alex or someone can check and see if that's even possible. It might depend on the setting yours

happens

to be on now. I don't know since I don't have an M8 anymore..

Or contact Leica and ask them if there's an easy way to shut it off.

<p>Liviu, you have already mentioned the question of settings, and how it may be possible to scroll down and click on what ISO or CB or resolution you may want, without the visual aid of the LCD screen, but doing so is sort of like dialing a telephone without looking at the keyboard, possible, but is it practicable? Unless the defect in your LCD is attributable to a manufacturing glitz (I had an M8 LCD screen that was getting grey in a very small area of the center of it and Leica acknowledged a defect in this 3rd party supplier screen and changed it free of cost and outside of the warranty period) you may be facing an important cost of repair. However, I would still contact Leica NJ (Dave Elwell, a pleasant contact) and see what he might be able to do for you.</p>

<p>The M8 (and presumably the M9) have not the longest of battery lives compared to some cameras and that may not be due only to the LCD screen. Good to have a second battery at hand (even a third party one).</p>

<p>Hello there Arthur!<br>

Thanks for your answer. Well, I have the keyboard but can't see the monitor. Been there before in accidental computing scenarios. So in my opinion a set of instructions would be something like:<br>

1) Press Menu<br>

2) Press set<br>

3) press arrow down twice<br>

4) press enter<br>

5) press arrow left<br>

6) Press enter<br>

This a completely imaginary set of instructions, yet I reckon that someone with an m8 could possibly provide the right scenario. But then maybe this is too much of a hassle?<br>

I have a second battery and the LCD is cracked mechanically. I just want to turn it off to save battery and lose the screen flickering after each shot. I even plan to ask Luigi for a case without a rear window cut :)<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>Don't worry about your battery, do worry about your face... as most LCDs contain toxic chemicals. Broken LCD may be dangerous to your health. Consult your user's manual. Typically there are warnings like "never touch a broken LCD". In my Lenovo laptop they say "if touched a broken LCD wash your skin for 15 minutes under running water".<br /><br />Best Regards,<br>

Michal</p>

<p>You could work out the sequence of button presses by looking at the camera's instruction manual. While I understand why you feel that the LCD is unnecessary, I must point out that there is no other way to make or change many settings.</p>

<p>Liviu - This is the sequence to turn off Auto Review:<br />- Press Menu<br />- Press down arrow 9 times to get to Auto review<br />- Press Set 2 times to change Auto review duration<br />- Press up arrow 2 times (Auto review duration = zero sec)<br />- Press Set once<br />- Press up arrow 9 times to get to save user profile<br />- Press set to select function then press set again to save as user profile 1<br />I hope this will work out for you.</p>

<p>M8.2 Sequence [Firmware 2.014] :<br>

1. Turn Camera OFF<br>

2. Turn Camera ON<br>

3. Press the Menu button<br>

4. Press the DOWN arrow 10 times [to access Auto Review]<br>

5. Press SET [to access Duration]<br>

6. Press SET again to access the options for Duration<br>

7. This menu contains 5 options and will cycle through them all continuously as you press the DOWN arrow. It starts at your current setting so it is literally a shot in the dark to find the OFF option in your case. So be prepared for some trial and error :<br>

- OFF<br>

- 1 second<br>

- 3 seconds<br>

- 5 seconds<br>

- hold <br>

Good Luck! That said, I would get it fixed.</p>

<p>Thank you, guys. Wonderful crowd. Will try to turn it off and let you know. Will cover the broken lcd with a temporary patch (electric tape etc), or even (reluctantly lustful) a Luigi case. Will fix it at some point, I reckon. <br>

Thanks again. A privilege to have you around.</p>

I am finding myself in a similar situation. I just bought a backup M8 body from someone on a forum and the failed to

mention the rear cover for the LCD was missing!

So, I have a working LCD but no protection. Fortunately, the seller told me not to worry and he would fix it or

reimburse me. I contacted leica and when they decided to get back to me, here is what they said..."we can upgrade it

to the sapphire glass, yadda yadda yadda for $1300!" After another phone call, I got $450 out of them for the stock

rear LCD. Still a little absurd considering I need just the plastic piece and they are wanting the camera for three

weeks and claiming they have to replace the rear clamshell.

If anyone has expieerenced this, please let me know.

<p>Shaun, that is interesting. I wonder why Leica cannot just replace the glass? It possibly means that the regular glass of the LCD is somehow part of the LCD part itself and Leica has to replace the whole assembly. $450 is not peanuts, but the camera itself is an expensive item and $450 is but a fraction of it or one of the current Leica lenses or objectives. (On a side note, please check your www address as there is a spurious letter in it).</p>