Help? Cracked filter I can't get off.

hana_mohalo

<p>I found a lens at the pawn shop with a cracked filter. It must have been dropped. I thought it was a filter, so I thought I had a great deal I can just take it off when I get home. I certainly can't unscrew this filter. It's a sigma zoom lens, says "lens made in japan" and the part that is cracked that I thought was a filter says "UV 58mm digital concepts JAPAN OPTICS made in china"<br>

So is this a filter or is it sadly apart of the lens? Anyway of removing it?</p>

<p>Those rubber pads for opening jars are often quite effective at getting rid of stubborn filters, and are usually the cheapest option. If that doesn't work head to your local hardware store and pick up a small strap wrench similar to <a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-strap-wrench-set-94119.html"><strong>this one</strong></a>. Just make sure you put the wrench only on the filter and not on the barrel of the lens itself.</p>

<p>The easiest way to remove a stuck filter is described above - end pressure on a rubber mat while turning the lens. If that doesn't work, use a filter wrench, which has a round opening that just fits the filter, which squeezes shut to apply uniform pressure. You can buy filter wrenches from B&H or most large camera stores. If you try to use your fingers, it distorts the filter ring, causing it to jam tighter. A broken filter means even less support to keep the filter ring from distorting.</p>

<p>It's likely that the lens itself suffered some damage from the broken filter. A little black paint on any significant scratch will help prevent a flare spot. Only extreme wide angle lenses will actually cast an image of dirt or scratches on the front element.</p>

<p>You can take the lens with mounted filter to a hardware store and buy a hose clamp that will just fit over the filter. These clamps tighten down with a screwdriver adjustment. The clerk at the hardware store will help you select a clamp of proper size. Once the clamp is affixed, you can use it to unscrew the filter using the clamp as a handle to provide leverage.</p>

<p>You can use a hacksaw blade and cut across the diameter of the filter. This creates two groves. The hacksaw blade, in the groves now serves as a spanner wrench. You rotate the spanner to remove the filter.</p>

<p>If all this fails, with a hacksaw blade and perhaps diagonal cutters (wire cutters) you can chip away at the rim of the filter until it severs. Once severed it will loosen its grip and come right off the lens. I need not tell you that this entire clamping, cutting, twisting etc. must be performed delicacy.</p>