Lightroom > InDesign > Photoshop Album/Print Projection Sales workflow

<p>Hello Everyone,</p>

<p>I searched long and wide for a detailed workflow incorporating Lightroom with InDesign and Photoshop. Several blurbs were discovered, but nothing comprehensive. So today, I yield for community critique, discussion, and hopefully advancement of, the detailed workflow I use to generate an Album and Prints. I've also incorporated Projection topics.<br /> Let's see if we can't optimize this. Rather than presenting your differences, let's instead discuss evolving the workflow in ways of efficiency or productivity. Let's all share knowledge and progress together.</p>

<p>Without further adieu, here is how I generally work...<br /> <strong>Total Album/Print Work Flow (bradleywalter.com - 06-30-2011):</strong></p>

<ol>

<li>Create new Lightroom catalog for client/event in client folder</li>

<li>1<sup>st</sup> cull – “x” reject all bad </li>

<li>Filter rejected</li>

<li>2<sup>nd</sup> Cull – x reject remaining bad</li>

<li>Sort / rename with ( sequence ) (original filename) [ex: 001 IMG_0503.dng]</li>

<li>Exposure in grid edit mode (make group edits when you can see them in their place)</li>

<li>White Balance in grid edit mode</li>

<li>Crop</li>

<li>Yellow those for Album/Story</li>

</ol>

<p>10. Export all Yellow at 16 bit PSD into “Album PSDs (WIP)”<br /> 11. Create Album – InDesign, save file to root folder “ALBUM” within client directory. All edits/retouch done via LR/Photoshop linking and export overwrite/refresh to InDesign.<br /> 12. From InDeisgn, export Album JPGs (untouched or touched at this point) to root “ALBUM” directory<br /> 13. Import Album JPG Proofs into Client LR Catalog (keep in location, do not move, just “Add”)<br /> 14. Prepare Projection Sizes for sales presentation in the Print module<br /> 15. Prepare Slideshow of all images in the Slideshow Module<br /> 16. Setup Client meeting</p>

<ol>

<li>Slideshow in full size all Yellow and non-X</li>

<li>Slideshow the Album design, sell higher page count</li>

<li>Show the full set of pictures in contact mode</li>

<li>Flag those they want to see again / buy</li>

<li>Filter by flagged</li>

<li>Un-flag those they now reject</li>

<li>Show different sizes for those flagged in print templates</li>

<li>Make virtual copies of any changes (including crops) to ensure you don’t affect the album files used in InDesign</li>

<li>Take order on paper/excel by img # (from new virtual copy, if edited) and size, emphasize large prints</li>

<li>Offer discount on orders over $1000 and duplicates</li>

<li>Flagged photos become the client order</li>

</ol>

<p>17. Recolor all used InDesign files from original Yellow export in Lightroom to Green, leave Yellow on others<br /> 18. Retouch all Green album photos from within Lightroom via 16bit Photoshop PSD. <br /> 19. 5 star the Final Retouched PSD so you know it’s done<br /> 20. Export to “Album PSDs (WIP)” & overwrite <strong>or</strong> to “Album PSDs (Final) & update InDesign links<br /> 21. Export Album from InDesign, formatted as required by album company. Print these.<br /> 22. Retouch remaining Print files (flagged, exclude Green – Green flagged were already done) from within Lightroom via 300dpi 16bit ProPhoto Photoshop PSD (“LR>Preferences>External Editing” settings)<br /> 23. Export full res TIFF/PSD/JPG (enlarge as needed for prints) in either sRGB, ProPhoto RBG, or Adobe RGB depending on print lab color space requirements. Print these.<br /> 24. Rinse and Repeat.</p>

<p>It seems fine to me (albeit a bit convoluted for my tastes)...why don't you simply export a PDF of the book directly through InDesign and share that to the client (either upload it to your site or send it to them)? What's the benefit of going back into LR to showcase the album?</p>

<p>The primary reason for importing the album back into Lightroom is for the projection slideshow. I like to remain in one program while doing the projection, that's all.<br>

I appreciate your feedback, and I'm especially interested in your comment about it being convoluted. Is it my detail that seems to complicate things, or are there extra steps? Anything you have to suggest that might streamline it is exactly what I'm looking for.<br>

Brad</p>