got my x100!

<p> Got my Fuji X100 today! Amazing camera, at last someone thought about photographers that are not rich! Amazing lens, amazing sensor... good pictures at 5000 ISO, usable at 12000! My old Leica M8 is jealous...of course the X100 is no match for longer lenses... but what a wonderful tandem! A perfect second (or first) body! Sorry about all the excitment, but if you give it a try, you'll get hooked!!! Fussy menu though...</p>

<p>I'm glad to hear that you enjoying it. I take mine everywhere, and having developed arthritis in my neck, am carrying a DSLR with lenses much less often. The X100 is a great street camera. The pro photograpery who is documenting a year in the life of my Cambridge college gets his assistant to carry all the heavy cameras while he carries his TWO X100s! Beware, if you install the firmware upgrade it resets the image numbers to zero.</p>

<p>Regarding the firmware update resetting image numbering... After updating If you shoot with a card that has your last image before the update, the camera will see this and continue without resetting to zero. This is handy to avoid duplicating file numbering.</p>

<p>Yep the X100 is pretty much that digital Canonet I have always wanted. I did take a look at one in my local store a couple of weeks ago. It's really the camera I have been waiting for, I just need the price to drop or wait for the next model to pick up a used one.</p>

<p>Shawn:</p>

<p>Once you're focused, the shutter lag is nonexistent. I use the "manual focus" mode, which means I can push a button on the back of the camera to have the camera focus. Autofocus time is slower than an SLR, but faster than most point & shoots. Doesn't take any more time to focus this way than it did for me with a rangefinder. Once you have focus, using this mode, the shutter button won't try to re-focus, so it will instantly take a photo.</p>

<p>Steve:</p>

<p>I have CS 4. ACR won't open the raw file. I understand ACR in CS 5 will. I upgrade every couple releases, so I'm waiting for CS 6. Adobe's free DNG converter will convert the raw files to dng, and those open just fine in CS 4.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p> Two days after: the counter is well over 700 shots! Pros: virtually silent (almost as silent as the Hexar AF in silent mode, excellent lens (just a bit softer at the edges wide open) , excellent metering and white balance, extraordinary DR mode (and I mean it!) impeccable jpegs, fantastic viewfinder... Cons: the most awkward menu I've seen in my life (i.e. try to get rid of the Auto ISO in a hurry to set a manual ISO!), sometimes focus is not spot on (very rarly indeed it focuses a bit further) and what a shame in does not come with neither a filter thread and lens hood; ah, the battery does not last a few hours shooting, and it should be a black version. Time lag is nonexistent after focusing, but autofocus is pretty fast. Manual focus is slow, making it unusable (and when you turn the camera off it does not maintain the set distance). Compared to Leica: better ISO performance, but fixed lens; not as responsive in fast situations (Henri Cartier-Bresson disciples will suffer from this) and it lacks the Leica name, costing five times less... But after all, the most exciting camera I've had in years!</p>

<p>António:</p>

<p>For manual focus, it appears the intent is to use the back button to get close, and then fine-tune by turning the lens. Done this way, manual focusing isn't that slow. I don't even fine-tune using the lens. So in essence, I'm using manual focus mode, but letting the X100 autofocus. I used the command control button to see a 10x magnification of my focus spot, and then shoot away.</p>

<p>As long as your subject is relatively stationary, this works quite well. And if your subject is constantly moving, then shooting with a manual rangefinder is problematic, too, unless you want your subject centered under the focus patch.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

António, are you using the AEF/AEL. button for manual focus? It's quick enough. MF is only 'unusable' if you stick to

the manual focus ring. Your overall conclusion is well put: the most exciting camera in years.

EDIT: posted simultaneous with the last post.

<p>You're quite welcome. This is one of those cameras where it pays to read the manual. Then, once you think you know how to use it and have been using it a while, flip through again to see what you missed the first time. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>

The other thing that might not have been clear from the firmware upgrade is the command button lock, which prevents

inadvertent activation of the flash or burst mode. In the description of the firmware upgrade this is called 'rock' which

was confusing. It is 'lock' by pressing the OK button for 3 secs.

<blockquote>

<p>"In the description of the firmware upgrade this is called 'rock' which was confusing. It is 'lock'..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh, no... must... refrain... from... Engrish... jokes...</p>

<p>I don't care, I still want an X100. They could print typos on the camera itself and I'd still want one.</p>

<p>Actually, that's pretty funny after yet another of those tedious <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00Yyd5">"You Americans mispronounce Nikon" threads</a>.</p>

<p>Olá, António<br>

I don't know if your camera with firmware version 1.10 (the new one) or version 1.01.<br>

If you've got 1.01 upgrade it as soon as possible and you'll overcome most of the menus issues as the "fn" button will give you access to the most used menu items and allows you to allocate them to this button quite easily and fast.<br>

Unfortunately the "auto ISO" is not in the list but you've a way to go there almost directly: push the "fn" button until you get the menus; go to "<-C SEL. DEF. PERSON." (if you have the portuguese menu, or the equivalent in another language); push the "OK" button and you get the "auto ISO" menu entry just bellow it; after this you can move across the list for "Fn", pusk "OK" to allocate the one you wish and press "DISP/BACK" to escape the menus.<br>

It seems more complicated and time spending that it actually is - you'll end up doing it with no problem at all and just like as allocating any other facility to the "fn" button.<br>

If your camera still has firmware 1.01 you'll notice some other important and significant improvements.<br>

Keep enjoying it.<br>

Abraço</p>

<p>Aha! The built-in teleconverter for movies was a feature I didn't know about. So in addition to reading the manual, read threads like this. </p>

<p>I skipped over that section in the manual because I don't generally record movies. It is nice to tuck away in the far recesses of my mind so that when I need that feature at some distant point, I'll forget how to use it, but I'll know I should remember and be bugged non-stop until I recall what it is, hours after it would have been useful. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>