creating a narrow depth of field

craveprints

<p>so i know that adjusting the aperture and shutter speed can create a narrow depth of field, but i cannot get what i am looking for by just doing that... the thing is when i use my 50mm lens reversed for macro stuff (like my bubble shots) i get the exact amount of narrowness that i am looking for... here is a shot that i found online it is the closest image i came across that looks like what i want to acheive- of course this one also seems to be a macro image (or at least a very close up shot of something small) i want the same effect but on a larger scale (like when shooting a building) is there some other magic tip you guys know of or do you think i will need to get a new lens- the 3 i have now are 50mm prime, a 28-135mm zoom, and a 70-300 zoom... any suggestions?</p>

<hr>

<i>Photo deleted. Please review photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use">Terms of Use</A> and <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/">Community Guidelines</A>. Photo.net strives to respect copyrights, so please post only your own photos.</i>

<blockquote>

<p>i want the same effect but on a larger scale (like when shooting a building)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Won't happen. At least not to the same degree. Photographing a building is very, very different than a Macro shot. For starters, the distances involved are very different. The closer you get to your subject, the more shallow you DoF is going to be. For a building, you simply can't be that close. Now you could use something like a tilt-shift lens, which would be expensive and still not really give you that very shallow DoF look. You could try something like a Lensbaby. Or, perhaps the best bet is to find a some software to allow you to do a selective focus.</p>

<p>4 things affect the depth of field you will get....<br>

1. The focal length of the lens you use. Longer means less dof at same aperture.<br>

2.The f/stop you select. Smaller f/stops give more dof.<br>

3 The distance you are focussed at.The closer you are, the less dof you will have.<br>

4. The actual design of the lens, but that is out of your control.</p>

<p>You CAN shoot several images...from a tripod....varying the focus point each time.....Focus Bracketing. You then assemble the results in the computer to give you the results you desire....Best of luck...Robert</p>

<p>I suggest that you learn to do it in editing with separate layers of the same subject, applying different amounts of blurr to each and creating the illusion of change in sharpness using a very soft erase tool to erase each layer progressively away from the area to be sharp on the base layer.. If you have two or more layers of the same image you can simulate the gradual change of sharpness you require. It takes time and practice and is easier when there are definite planes in the photo rather than a gradual change of distance.<br>

Alternatively if your editor has a blurr tool controlled by the mouse you can apply this tool more and more as you move behind and forward of the subject in the photo. I use layers first and then the mouse-blurr to touch up small areas. I am using Paint Shop Pro and not sure if other programmes have the "mouse-blurr" tool. One should use such tools at a low strength and sharpness for better results.<br>

You should post a link to a photographers photo you want us to see, not copy and credit which is a breach of their copyright unless you have their permission. </p><div>00YxO5-373805584.jpg.29d8486e7d9068dc15c3f6389beb85bd.jpg</div>

<p>thanks from what i am reading it seems like to get what i am attempting to do i will have to go with some type opf software (i have photoshop cs3, that i am a complete novice using, so i hope i can do it with that program) unless i go for a tilt shift type lens like the lensbaby muse.... they are pretty cheap i may just suck it up and buy one although i was really trying to avoid it....</p>

<hr>

<i>Copyrighted photo deleted. Please review photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use">Terms of Use</A> and <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/">Community Guidelines</A>. Photo.net strives to respect copyrights, so please post only your own photos.</i>

<p>For the first month I was almost willing to give PSP away it seemed so complicated but back then there were no alterantives and I stuck with it ... now years later I love it though only last week I used it in a way I have never done before ... it is a continual learning process but worth it becuase camera and editor are companion tools towards the final product.</p>

<p>Yes, for the record, AMANDA, it's actually not according to the rules here to post other people's photographs except for other P.net member's pictures for purposes of demonstration of a PP technique or such like.</p>

<p>The Lensbaby is an overpriced toy, at least to me, but a real tilt/shift lens will do the sort of thing you seem to be looking for. Unfortunately, they are among the most expensive lenses, regardless of the marque. Maybe after all, the Lensbaby will serve if you just want to play around the the effect.</p>

<p>If you want blur, the other posts have many good suggestions.<br /> <br />Or do you want to emphasize part of the scene by one means or another? You can brighten the part you want to emphasize and darken background, especially through a gradient. You can sharpen or add local contrast to the subject. You can desaturate background. A combination of these techniques, with care not to do too much of any one of them, works well.</p>