Could you recommend me a budget portrait lens for full frame DSLR?

alan_kovarik

<p>If you cannot afford a $300 lens, then you might want to consider selling your 5d2 and get a 5dc. It is just as good in the IQ department. And you free up $1000 to go towards stuff that matters most. You can get that 85 1.8, a flash, and another cheap zoom like the 28-105 USM II.<br>

Failing that, just save up. I am reminded of a bloke that drove around in late model sports car that went to a track day with Wal Mart tires.</p>

<p>I'd agree that the Jupiter (née Sonnar) 85mm f/2 is another good alternative. I've got a couple of them in various mounts and the IQ is outstanding, I think equal to the German originals, and the newer ones have newer lens coatings as well. A more expensive (nowadays) copy of the Sonnar was made by Nikon after the war, after the German patents were open to the world's use.</p>

<p>Old lenses can be stiff, but I think Orlando just needs to work his lens, perhaps with a mere whiff of naphtha to loosen it up. At the worst, a good dis-assembly and cleaning will probably make it like new. My Jupiter-9s don't have that problem, which honestly I have more trouble with on the pre- and post-WWII copies of any lenses. The old ones were sometimes lubed to make them smooth, and the stuff has 'set' up.</p>

<p>Some of you (Philip To, Marcus Ian, Richard Snow, Chinh Nguyen) could phrase their opinions a little more friendly.</p>

<p>Anyway, there's nothing woring with using cheaper glass on a more expensive camera.</p>

<p>It's an interchangeable lens system. You can put the best glass you can afford in front of it for your most precious subjects and when the subject is less important or the funcings are low you can use whatever lens you like.</p>

<p>That said, in the price range the OP is searching there's not a lot of choice in the Canon range. I like the suggestions of second hand off-brand manual focus lenses (like the nikkor 105) and I second the suggestion of a second hand Canon EF 135 2.8 SF.</p>

<p>Good luck, Matthijs.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like the comments like this one...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you really think the Canon $350 85 f/1.8 is too expensive for you $2700 Canon 5D Mark II?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It makes a lot more sense when you keep in mind that a 5D is a very cheap camera, comparable to an old EOS Elan 7, under $300. It simply comes boxed with $2,400 in film that you had to purchase up front.</p>

<p>So, from that point of view, yes, $350 primes are "exotic" for Elan and Rebel owners. Not that you don't see some unusual combinations, but sure, $100 lenses like a "plastic fantastic" "nifty fifty" 50mm f1.8 are perfectly at home on a 5D II, just like a used $100-150 Nikon 105mm f2.5.</p>

<p>I have used the 28-135mm both with my Elan II and 50D for portraits (when I didn't have any other primes), and I think it can give reasonably sharp images wide open. It also covers the range from 80-135mm which worked great for me for different types of portraits. A used one shouldn't cost too much more than $ 200...</p>

<p>One approach not metioned is to use your 50mm lens at 85mm distance or whatever and CROP the image file. The 5dII has plenty of pixels to permit this for all but very large prints. Meanwhile save your money for an 85mm f:1.8 lens. KEH currently has a good used one for $350.</p>