How hard is it....

joe_martin

<p>I have a recently aquired 80mm CF that has a malfunctioning shutter (won't stay cocked when I turn the screw on the back). I'm wondering how difficult it would be to attempt to repair it myself. I've repaired pocket watches for a number of years now and am quite comfortable working with small delicate parts so I'm not very worried about damaging the lens in the process. Other than a spanner wrench are there any specialized tools I'll need? Are spare parts hard to obtain, and where would one get them from - direct from Hasselblad? I realize a repair would probably only run around $200 but I'd love to know how to do this myself- something very satisfying about getting a finely made mechanical instrument to function as it is supposed to.</p>

<p>For me, I wouldn't practice on such a nice lens. Find a broken Hasselblad lens on the auction site and practice on that perhaps. CF lenses are very desirable, and one mistake while you are practicing could permanently damage the lens, mar an element, etc. If you have the money to replace it, and can afford it, go ahead. But I know for myself, a $400 lens is expensive and well worth taking to a pro for a repair.</p>

<p>There is some similarity between clockwork escapements and shutters, but think about your ultimate goal. If you primarily want to take the challenge and maybe learn something, then I'd say go for it. If you want a lens/shutter to use in a casual situation and don't mind risking something going wrong, then I'd say go for it. If you want a lens/shutter to use in a professional environment or you really don't want to replace it because of a goof, then I'd say send it to a pro.</p>

<p>80CF is indeed a very nice lens but they are readily replaceable. All it takes is some money.</p>

<p>You can either spend a couple of hundred now, or maybe spend a couple of hundred later. Or... in the best of situations, you can do the job successfully and not have to spend any more money at all. Good luck with whichever option you choose!</p>

<p>The shutter latch is a simple ratchet and pawl mechanism, which you can access by removing four screws in the lens. The pawl is the most likely to have suffered wear, and is easy to replace. The ratchet is on a telescoping shaft extending into the lens and shutter, which would require major disassembly. You just don't know until you open it up. Then is the problem getting parts.</p>

<p>To make a long story short, send the lens to Hasselblad or a competent Hasselblad repairman. Simple repairs don't cost much, and the lens probably deserves a CLA in any case.</p>

<p>Book Two of Thomas Tomosy's Camera Maintenance and Repair series contains a discussion on servicing the 80mm Planar for Hasselblad (Compur shutter model). If you're determined to have a go yourself, it may assist. If you do, please update us as to how you get on, I will be interested to hear.</p>

<p>I've done minor repairs on my Hasselblads, light trap changes, 500 cm disassembly, etc. If you have experience with watch repair, it sounds like you may be able to do quite a few fixes to your camera. Everyone is scared to death to even tinker with a Hassy, but in reality it is not that complicated a mechanism.<br>

I spoke to Nicole at Hasselblad USA (New Jersey), she said they have LOADS of parts, all the way back to the 500 C camera- that's old. She said they repair old cameras there all the time since they still manufacture many parts for these. She is VERY helpful as well, so maybe give her a call and inquire. You can usually just buy the parts you need over the phone.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>I don't recommend messing with the lens.</p>

<p>Proper adjustment of the several lens functions requires a special jig from Zeiss, at a cost of around $1,800 if you can find one. If the timing of these functions is not correct, the lens won't work right, and may lock up.</p>

<p>I strongly recommend you send it to David Odess (or other qualified Hasselblad repair service). This should not be an expensive repair.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>