I'm new to LF photography and just bought a Shen Hao camera from

Badger. For an inexpensive camera the quality of workmanship is quite

hi. I was prepared to be dissapointed at that price level, being

trained as a tool and die maker, but was pleasently surprised. Now to

the question; Does any one use a jewelers loupe that attatches to and

rotates out of the way on glasses to focus on the GG? It would be

nice to have both hands free.

Thank you,

Richard Martel...Florida Keys. PS any LF users in the keys?

Richard, I agree, dollar-for-dollar, feature-for-feature, the Shen Hao is one heck of a camera. You will probably find that the magnification of a jeweler's loupe is too strong for groundglass focusing. 4x to 6X is a more practical power range. Too strong, and the grain of the GG becomes magnified. Since you prefer to have both hands free, you may find that a pair of reading glasses with a neck cord will serve the purpose. I purchased mine at Wal-Mart. Try different magnifications, until you can see clearly at the distance you feel comfortable for GG focusing.

Richard,

I bought Eugene's Shen Hao off him and have been really pleased with the quality and capabilities of this tool. As far as loupes, my one gripe about the camera is that the focusing mechanism, the front gear track, must be adjusted on the right, which means you have to hold a loupe with the left hand. This works well for lefties, but it's a bit of a challenge with the rest of us. A small complaint really, but if you have success with jeweler's glasses please let me know.

David Elias Butler

as a question to you users, is the Shen Hao's front std pretty sturdy -- say, in field use, a little wind, any wobble tendency? My reference would be to a Wista, very fine otherwise, but the front was not rock solid. Not at all like a lock-down solid studio camera, and maybe I expect too much.

Dear Lacey,

I don't think one can "expect too much" but working within the design criteria of a field camera where weight and folded size are paramount goals this camera meets them well and the ridgidity of the front standard,I believe,falls well within the accepted levels of "stiffness" associated with this type of camera. Just tighten everything down...Now if I can just remember to do that...

Regards, Richard

Dear Lacey,

I don't think one can "expect too much" but working within the design criteria of a field camera where weight and folded size are paramount goals this camera meets them well and the ridgidity of the front standard,I believe,falls well within the accepted levels of "stiffness" associated with this type of camera. Just tighten everything down...Now if I can just remember to do that...

Regards, Richard

I'm nearsighted, which is actually a help here. I already know an optician (too damn well). Last time I had my eyes checked, I took my camera with me as a visual aid. I showed the good doctor that I wanted to be able to put my head six inches from the glass and have everything in focus, and magnified by about 4x. Three days and $230 later I had my own "stereo loope" that lets me do hands free work with the camera. Damn sharp since it corrects for my astigmatism too. When I'm not under the focusing cloth, they just hang around my neck. What could be easier?