What Nikon book am I looking for?

david_harris3

<p>I'm looking for a Nikon system book that used to be in every Barnes & Noble, etc., until film started its decline about ten years ago. Cheapskate that I am, I used to sneak peeks into it from time to time as I needed to know something, but never bought it. Well, now that I've accumulated a pretty decent Nikon film system, I want to have this book. I can't remember the title or author. I know it is NOT the New Nikon Compendium, which I have. This particular book had a page or two on every extant Nikkor lens, flash, accessory, etc., with a picture, a short summary of specs, serial number history, and salient usage notes. For example, I specifically remember it had a page on the 45mm GN which said "get the later one that says Nikon, not Nippon Kogaku, since the lens was coated".</p>

<p>Does anyone know which book I might be looking for?</p>

<p>Edit: Mr. Friedemann beat me by a couple minutes.</p>

<p>Perhaps this book? It has something close to the quote you mentioned.</p>

<p><em>"On this first series, the name 'Nippon Kogaku' was engraved on the lens; this was changed to 'Nikon' in later versions."</em></p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Nikon-System-Illustrated-Equipment/dp/1883403855/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308863142&sr=8-1</p>

<p>I think the book you're looking for is a hardback called the new Nikon Compendium, it's up to date till the D2H. It was about $40 when I bought it new. The other option may be the Nikon System handbook edited by B. Moose Peterson but it's nowhere the quality as the Compendium.<br>

It's the link's that Eric just posted.</p>

<p>Not sure that is what the OP is looking for, but I like Peter Brazcko's book very much. It was published in German over 10 years ago and then translated into English. Therefore, it has essentially no DSLR information and no latest lens info.</p>

<p>Moose Peterson's book tells you that just about every Nikon lens is wonderful.</p>

<p>FWIW, back at the turn of the century, before DSLRs overtook 35mm film, my store carried the Shipman, Peterson and Brazcko books. The Shipman and Peterson books present a goodly amount of information at the better part of 200 pages each. The Brazcko book is 448 pages, and is simply more comprehsnsive.</p>

<p>I bought the Brazcko book about a decade ago and used to reference it a lot early on, but I am not a collector and my focus is mainly on the newer equipment. Its information is now a bit dated such that I don't use that book as much any more.</p><div>00YwOi-372821584.jpg.ae4c38320c1d2bbfd48c378ec66888d0.jpg</div>

<p>Per Shun's Brazcko post, the Brazcko book was published in March of 2001. As the cover image implies, it is a book cataloging Nikon film cameras, accessories, etc., available in 2000, and before.</p>

<p>The poster's stated interest is in Nikon film cameras. The Brazcko book would be useless for those interedted in Nikon DSLRs and other products Nikon has introduced in the last decade. </p>