First Attempt

kev_400d

<p>Hey all, </p>

<p>Your advice is much appreciated! </p>

<p><strong>The Situation</strong><br>

The company I work for are designing a new website and we've decided to have a "meet the team" page on the website. For this we need a pic of each team member. The company holds images of each team member but they are truly terrible (P&S, inbuilt flash, random background, etc.). There is no budget for a pro so I have agreed to take pictures for the new website...<br>

Seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm getting nervous. <br>

"photo shoot" is Tue / Wed (28th/29th) so advice before then is much appreciated! </p>

<p><strong>My Experience</strong><br>

I'm an amateur! I've been interested in photography for a long time and have been shooting with a DSLR for about 4 years. I find the physics of photography comes easier to me than the creative side. I have been shooting with hot-shoe flash for a couple of years. <br>

My flash technique is: point the flash at the ceiling, use an aperture that gives adequate DOF (usually between f/2.8 and f/8) and a shutter speed between 50 and 200 depending how fast the subject is moving and how much background I want. <br>

I am generally happy with the results. The only thing I am unsure of is that using AWB tends to result in slightly warm images.</p>

<p><strong>My Equipment</strong><br>

Camera: Canon 400D<br>

Lenses: 18-55 (kit), 55-200 (kit), 50 1.8, 28 1.8<br>

Flash: 430 EX II<br>

Tripods: various<br>

Misc: 30" Shoot-through umbrella, 3m straight TTL flash cord, tripod to umbrella/hot-shoe adapter, 24" circular reflector. </p>

<p><strong>My Plan </strong><br>

My plan is to use a projector screen as a neutral backdrop. Tripod-mount the flash to shoot through the umbrella positioned to the left of the camera, pose the subject body and shoulders towards the flash, face towards the (tripod mounted) camera. I plan to let TTL do it's job, take some test shots and use FEC if needed. </p>

<p>Please feel free to pick apart my plan, and give advice on settings, setup, how to get the white balance right, etc. </p>

<p>It's unlikely that I'll be able to get any additional equipment between now and the shoot. </p>

<p>Help and Advice much appreciated.</p>

<p>Set up the equipment the way you described ASAP, and take a few test shots. You may or may not like the results. If you don't, either tweak the setup yourself, or post a few shots in this thread for suggestions.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>PS - I've never tried using a projector screen as a backdrop, but I'm a bit worried that since they are designed for maximum reflectivity, you may wind up with odd glints from your light sources. If you see this, throw a bedsheet or something similar over it (assuming you need a white background).</p>

<p>PPS - A frequent problem I see when inexperienced photographers are pressed into service for a task like this is that they attempt to make color and tonal corrections on a monitor which isn't calibrated. I can't overstate the importance of this problem. If you don't have a calibrated monitor and/or don't have months of familiarity with successfully using it in a color-managed workflow, just leave the files alone and leave this part of the task to someone who has such equipment and experience. Hell hath no fury like a female colleague who doesn't like the look of her corporate photo. ;-)</p>

<p>Don't worry about framing the shots carefully if they are for a website, leave extra space on all sides and crop later (one less thing to worry about during the shoot). Personally, I would shoot horizontal and crop to vertical later for shots like this.</p>

<p>I would worry about the projector screen backdrop also. Definitely test it. If you have issues, you can pick up a light blue or gray bedsheet at Walmart for a few dollars.</p>

<p>Ideally, you want a separate light for the background. Otherwise you can have issues with the shadow cast by your subject. Putting the background further back might help.</p>

<p>Projector screen is like they say not a good idea,I predict that it will blow the works and from what I know using reflective backgrounds,they screw things up. However, using the screen to hang something like a fabric or blanket or even a tarp if you must, duct tape or gaffers tape is useful in that regard. Have a taped mark on the deck for feetsies where each will sit or stand and and arrow point in direction you want. You know,..like a film director with a big cast to audition as you seek to get a consistent "look." for the product. (Is an out of door shaded place w wall near the building<em> totally</em> out of the question, guess so, you know best.).. Little things count. As in watch the glare on glasses, shoot a couple exposures each, coach the people to be patient for ''just one more." But you know that already I am sure. Auto white balance works most of the time, test with the flash setting too, before hand just to see which works better...<br /> Good luck, perhaps have a beer or equivalent first to ease up, it <em>is</em> just photography after all, You will be doing better than most expect I bet and will carry this off fine ....aloha, gs</p>

<p>Seriously, do not use the projector screen as a backdrop - most of them are made of a highly reflective material which would cause serious hot points at random points in your image. Better find and use a normal surface or, better yet, somewhere where company branding is also available.<br>

There are some superb tutorials and ideas at the strobist website (on the "On assignment" section...)</p>