smallest compact hotshoe flash?

<p>The <a href="http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/rd2000/index.html#siyou">Sunpak RD2000</a> is among the smallest of the new flashes I've seen. It's TTL compatible with Canon or Nikon, but I can't tell from the manufacturer's specifications whether it also supports non-TTL auto flash (sometimes called auto thyristor flash in older units). For the price - well under $100 - it offers a lot of value for a two-AA-battery flash that also has some bounce capability. If it does offer basic auto flash and manual override, it's probably the best buy around in a new flash.</p>

<p>The smallest flash I have - and among the smallest I've ever seen - is an old Olympus PS200. It takes only two AA batteries and offers no automation. It was originally intended for use with cameras like the Olympus 35 RC rangefinder, which used the guide number flash method in which the lens aperture adjusts along with the focus. It's safe to use with mechanical cameras but the trigger voltage may be unsafe for current model digital cameras. The PS200 appears to be fairly uncommon. I've seen only one and I bought it for about $5.</p>

<p>The smallest four-battery (AA) flash I've seen was the Nikon SB-10, an older model that offered basic auto flash and fixed manual output. I have one and it works well, but may be larger and heavier than you'd want, altho' it is very compact for a flash that takes four batteries. One advantage to it is the pivoting shoe, which allows adjusting the flash to suit vertical or horizontal compositions - but no bounce.</p>

<p>I have got a Nikon SB30 which is pretty small - it also folds flat when not in use. It's a very versatile piece of kit with different manual and automatic setting and TTL (on Nikon cameras). It can act as a slave flash or infra red transmitter for triggering other slave flashes.</p>

<p>I use a Vivitar 550FD on a Bessa R with good results. It is a 4-cell flash, bounce capable, with manual, auto and TTL modes. There are different models with dedicated TTL for different systems, but any of them will work on a plain hot shoe.</p>