Canon 580 eX II Pocket Wizard TT1 + Flex TT5

<p>I have purchased the PW TT1 + Flex TT5 at least a year ago finding out a lot of issue with the 580 EX II flash signal issue matching with the PW. I have received the Shield 'socks' for the flash that is what I call it and a hotshoe mount, played few time and gave up since it is not consistency so it is sitting there. Now I wonder if anyone got it working with over 20 feet away with TTL mode. Thanks for reading.</p>

<p>Thanks Ellis and Eric, Did you notice any inconsistency with the Canon 580 EX II and TT1 and TT5 over 20 feet away? Do you still need to use the shield or the 'sock'? <br>

Here is a NOTE for the PW Plus with 580 exII Flash:<br>

Did you notice the PW Plus II will not work with Canon 580 exII over 20 feet, I discovered that a year ago but not sure if things have changed. Share your story here. Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>I just took my 580 EXII and my 7D, both with TT5s, and they worked fine at a distance of at least 50 feet with the sock on the flash. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but figured I'd ask just in case...did you extend the antenna on your TT5? Also, be sure the socks are tightened so that the inside fabric makes contact with the metal plate on the hotshoe attachment.</p>

<p>I do also have the most current firmware on the TT5s.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Did you notice any inconsistency with the Canon 580 EX II and TT1 and TT5 over 20 feet away?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No I do not.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Do you still need to use the shield or the 'sock'? </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes because it is extremely well documented that the 580 EX II emits a lot of spurious radio noise that interferes with the radio frequencies used by the ControlTL system. There are apparently some 580 EX II Speedlites that have internal manufacturing flaws that allows arcing between the flash tube and the reflector that also has an effect on their behavior whether you use the ControlTL system or not. Instead of the fabric socks I use the AC7 hard shell shield with my 580 EX II Speedlites but have also started using 430 EX II Speedlites as my primary speedlites. </p>