Egypt trip - lens advise for DX body

porter

<p>CC, you are advising the OP to buy an UWA for m4/3 when he already has one for nikon, plus another prime for a DSLR, as well as lug a lot of other lenses. doesn't make a lot of sense. having been to egypt and visited Cairo as well as the historic sites, all the OP really needs is a superzoom like the 18-270 to pair with the UWA on the DSLR, plus the m4/3 with one small, fast, normal prime. that's not too much kit, and just as light or lighter than what you are suggesting.</p>

Thanks elliot =)

CC, I would love the panasonic 7-14mm, alas I would need to sell 2 of my 10-24s to afford it.

Matter is settled for me, thanks all for the fantastic input. I'm going to keep the lenses I have, 10-24 on the d7000, 20

1.7 on the ep2. Now to practice some more with uwa to ensure I get memorable shots!

Pat

<p>Patrick, a little of topic but... I also have the 20mm f1.7 as well that I use on my E-PL1. Isn't that a fantastic little lens!</p>

<p>KR has an excellent article on the successful use of UWA lenses. It help me a lot in learning how to use mine successfully. You might enjoy reading it. Good luck with your trip!</p>

<p>I lived in Cairo as a student (Arabic degree) and have been many, many times since. When I was there in 1990 onwards as a student I only had my beloved Pentax ME Super and a 50mm f1.7 which was already then well out of date. Took a lot of great shots just with that.<br /> When I go now I usually still have a 50mm and 25mm or 28mm and that's that. On some trips a 35mm only (on FX/35mm film). You'll be taking lots of architectural shots so the less distortion you have from your lenses the better.<br /> The kit you have is fine - the simpler/lighter/smaller you keep it the happier you will be - but what I would say is make sure you have a good supply of cleaning fluid and pads, blower brushes, memory cards, film if you plan to use any etc etc as finding that kind of thing is an expensive pain in Cairo and impossible outside of it.<br /> Otherwise the most important assets to have in Egypt are a sense of humour (which will be sorely tested often) and an open mind. Arabs are amongst the friendliest and most hospitable people on earth, in spite of what the TV likes to show, and the Egyptians the most fun-loving of them all. You will be bugged often for tips (ba'sheesh - you'll hear that a lot) as a rich foreigner but sometimes you will be taken off to see sights otherwise denied more tight-fisted tourists.<br /> Oh and don't worry about the driving either - they really are very skilled and you will survive.</p>