40D vs 50D at low ISO

mark_pierlot

<p>I know that the 50D exhibits more noise than the 40D at higher ISO's, but I'm wondering how well these bodies compare with respect to image quality at ISO's from 100 to 800. Since the newer body has more resolution, I would expect its images to be better near base ISO, but I'm not sure.</p>

<p>I'm planning on using one of these bodies as a walkabout complement to my 5DII, and would be using it almost exclusively in good light. I don't need the more sophisticated AF sytem or higher burst rate of the 7D, and would just use my 5DII when I'm shooting in lower light. </p>

<p>Google is your friend. There are numerous A/B tests of these two cameras. I spent a lot of time agonizing over this when I bought a 50D (back when both that and the 40D were still on the market), and my conclusion is that the difference in noise is trivial, not enough to offset the advantages of greater resolution (for more cropping ability) and MFA (which, as it turns out, I never needed for any of my lenses).</p>

<p>Hmm, while I can't comment on the differences between the 40D/50D having never owned them, shouldn't the final comparison come against the 7D and it's greater resolving power, excellent low ISO (160/200) traits and newer Digic4 processors? (maybe I'm jumping the gun and this is what you're working towards?) I've seen images taken by a working photographer using a 40D at one of the events I was shooting, and from a purely technical point of view, most didn't hold up to the 7D in terms of clarity, resolution and color value. (Granted, some of this is probably attributable to post processing differences). As another poster pointed out in a prior thread (D Taylor?)-if you don't need the burst rate or AF tracking of the 7D, perhaps the 60D would be a better choice?</p>

<p>I own both cameras and like both cameras but the 50D out performs the 40D for IQ.<br>

I use LR 3 and PS CS5 to process RAW files and the problems with noise pretty much vanish with that software. Prior to the introduction of the newest versions of LR and PS I was ready to upgrade to a 7D and 5D MKII having borrowed and tested both; instead I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if a 5D MKIII appears and ditto with a 7D since I need a 100% view finder.</p>

<p>Thank you one and all for your advice. I am rather mystified, however, by Randall's response:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>houldn't the final comparison come against the 7D and it's greater resolving power, excellent low ISO (160/200) traits and newer Digic4 processors? (maybe I'm jumping the gun and this is what you're working towards?).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not really working <em>towards</em> anything, since I already have a 5DII, and it's pretty clear that it trumps the 7D with respect to image quality at any ISO. But I think the fault is mine for not making myself clear enough.</p>

<p>I recently picked up a 50D to give to my brother for his birthday in late July, and, upon testing it out this weekend, I realized that it might be handy to have a crop DSLR (in addition to my full frame film and digital bodies) for walkabout use. It is quite handy to have the extra effective reach, and I found the 50D to have very good IQ and decent, if not stellar, noise levels at the ISO's I was shooting at (which were between 1250 and 1600, since it was an overcast, drizzling walk in the woods, and my 70-200/4 L IS isn't terribly fast).</p>

<p>So my thought was to pick up a used 40D, which seem to be a lot more plentiful, and a bit cheaper, than used 50D's, and give it to my brother, or, alternatively, to give him the 50D, and keep the 40D. This is the whole context in which I asked my question, and I think it should pretty clear by now that I'm not in the market for a 60D or a 7D. I apologize that I wasn't very clear in my original post.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you Mark for clarifying-in the context of the original post I thought you might have been deciding between which crop body would make the BEST compliment to your 5DII, discounting the 7D soley on the two mentioned parameters. Having no idea the cost of used 50D/40D, and not wanting to rewrite the post, I thought perhaps the 60D would be a good compromise and offered it up. </p>

<p>No worries, Randall. I should have been clearer in my original post.</p>

<p>FYI, 40D's run for around $400 on the used market, and 50D's for around $550 or so. Their low cost is one reason they're so tempting for a full frame user such as myself.</p>

<p>Since the 40D is a 10 megapixel camera, I think you'll still have more reach with your 5DII than you would with the 40D. You can crop your 5DII image to crop sensor size and still have more pixels to work with. It's a fine camera (I still use it), but in terms of image quality, I think you'd be better off cropping your 5DII images.<br>

Now if you want a smaller body to serve as a backup, or if you want a camera with a faster frame rate to shoot birds, etc., the 40D or 50D makes a lot more sense. I haven't used the 50D, but from what I've read it outperforms the 40D, especially at low ISO. It does not appear to be significant enough for me to upgrade my 40D--to be appreciably better, I suspect you'd need to go to the 7D.</p>

<p>$550 for a used 50D- have you considered a T2I? It might run $150 +/- more. It is built on the Rebel series, but it offers Video, Digic IV and the 18MP sensor. Don't get me wrong, I understand budgetary concerns, I'm just thinking you could get a lot more bang for a little more buck in this instance, even if you had to wait a little bit longer to aquire it. (Info based on BH website, body only listed as Temp Out of Stock)-</p>

<p>All the best, Randall</p>

<p>Thanks, Scott and Randall.</p>

<p>It's not really a question of budgetary constraints <em>per se</em>, but rather the fact that, since I don't really "need" another DSLR in addition to my 5DII, I really don't want to have very much money tied up in one. Anyway, as I've said, I've already bought a 50D anyway, and the remaining question is, do I keep it (and perhaps get my brother a 40D), or give it to brother?</p>

<p>The 40D/50D is only a few millimeters smaller than a 5D2, so you save very little in weight or size. Compared to a 21MP 5D2, the 40D's most endearing feature is the popup flash. This is where the real weight/size savings are as even a 220EX or 270EX add a lot more bulk to a 5D2.</p>

<p>Back in the day I upgraded from a 40D to 50D and liked the extra rez, better implemented Quick Control Screen, much nicer LCD and better flash metering in strong side and backlight. Both the 40D and 50D were pretty noisy at high ISO, the 50D only being a bit worse at pixel level. Of course the 50D still looked cleaner in same sized prints as the greater rez means less "enlargement" of artifacts than the 10MP 40D.</p>

<p>Finally, the menu interface of the 50D and 5D2 are almost identical. The 40D menu is similar but is bit rough around the edges. E.g., the QCS requires the pressing of different buttons to control different functions whereas the 50D QCS, like the 5D2, can be operated consistently via joystick and set button.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thanks, Peter. I have noticed that the menu interfaces on the 5DII and 50D are almost identical, and this makes it very easy to switch between them. The bodies were, of course, released only a couple of months apart. I also like the fact that, unlike the 40D or 60D, the 50D has AF microadjustment.</p>

<p>I am also quite impressed with the 50D's IQ, despite all the negative online press it's received and the fact that the only other DSLR I've ever used is my 5DII. If I don't end up giving it to my brother, I'm planning on using it for walkabout, low ISO shooting. </p>

<p>Another bonus of the 50D for me is its greater effctive reach, which comes in handy when I'm photographing my kids outdoors. I realize that I could just crop my 5DII images to achieve the extended reach that the 50D's sensor provides, but I really do prefer to compose my images in camera rather than in post.</p>