Help Upgrading to a Full Frame Body.

bazz farazz

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I'm going to be upgrading soon from my 50D to FF. For awhile I had been looking at the 5D MKII but now I'm unsure. Money, I'm limiting to $3000. I shoot roller derby a lot, which is an indoor sport so I'd like something with a good high ISO and good autofocus. I do a lot of portraits, street, weddings, and events. I'm not concerned about weight of the camera or the video capabilities. I'm considering a used 1Ds MKII. But would the 1Ds MKII feel like a downgrade in technology from the 50D: lower ISO limits (not that ever shoot over 2000 because its way too noisy); no Live View(don't use often but good to have); smaller screen; no sensor cleaning; button combos; lesser functions? I love the build quality of 1Ds MKII because I do like to put myself in situations where weather or getting hit by a falling derby girl is a factor. Another thing a like about 1Ds MKII is that the battery grip is already there and the battery does last much longer which is a huge plus. With the 5D MKII I'd be spending more than I'd like to for the grip and batteries. Something that discourages me from the 5D MKII is file size. 21.1 is much larger than the 16.7 of the 1Ds MKII. Shooting as much as I do this will add up to buying more hard drives and more memory cards much sooner.<br>

<strong>Things I like about the 1Ds MKII:</strong><br>

Build quality<br>

Battery grip<br>

X-synch at 1/250th sec.(5D MKII is only 1/200th)<br>

Smaller file size(saves money on storage)<br>

Price is about $500-600 less with an extra battery than the 5D MKII<br>

<strong>Things I like about the 5D MKII:</strong><br>

Newer technology <br>

Higher ISO capabilites</p>

<p>I'm also going to be upgrading glass as well from my EF-S 17-55 2.8 to a 24-70 2.8L(now regretting the original purchase due to non-FF compatibility which I knew nearly 2yrs ago). I know great glass is the best investment in a system. I've been told I'm a perfectionist by a former photography teacher and I strive to do my best at photography and be as professional as I can to please the client. I hope I've provided enough information for you fine folks to help me with my decision. Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thanks! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>But why consider only "FF" (aka 35mm-sensor, FX)?<br>

It's a different format, but there is not universal agreement that it constitutes an "upgrade".<br>

If you want the latest focus technology, etc., for your roller derby you get that <em>and</em> more tele reach with an APS-C sensor on a 7D, for one camera.<br>

There's no doubt that a 1Ds is a fine camera -- it's also the size of a small house. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I shoot roller derby...an indoor sport...good high ISO...good autofocus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Based on your budget, there is nothing full frame from Canon new or used that will satisfy you. The EOS 7D is the nearest affordable body that may satisfy your requirements. Unless, of course, you look outside of the Canon family.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>good high ISO and good autofocus</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmmm... that immediately brought to mind the 7D or an older 1D (not the "s" designation). In fact, I'd say the 7D coupled with some good glass would be your best use of $3k.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>1Ds MKII is that the battery grip is already there and the battery does last much longer</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The LP-E6 battery on my 5D Mark II lasts for ages (same as on the 7D), so battery life would most likely be a non-issue.</p>

<p>Yep. Keep your 17-55 IS and get a 7D. You'll have plenty of money left over to add glass. And I would suggest adding some fast primes to the line up for your indoor roller derby work. I haven't shot this but I'm assuming from your lens choices that you don't need a lot of reach. Look at the Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 50 f/1.4, and Canon 85 f/1.8. The two stop light gain on the primes more than offsets any high ISO advantage of the 5D mkII.</p>

<p>The 7D would be better for most of your photography. The 1DsII would be better for weddings. </p>

<p>I would not have a problem choosing the 1DsII over the 5DII, as I also prefer the pro build and better price. I currently have a 1Ds for landscapes/architecture and a D2X for sports.</p>

<p>A 1D MkIII is much better suited to your jobs than a 1Ds MkII. It has a much bigger sensor than your 50D, it has the framerate and iso performance you need, it has live view, the much better batteries than the earlier 1 series etc etc.</p>

<p>Whilst you will get image improvements from FF, getting a camera suited to the job at hand is the better priority, jumping to a 5D MkII, or 1Ds MkII, could be frustrating, the 1D MkIII is, however, built for the job.</p>

<p>Agree with the consensus. If the 1DmkIII and 1DmkIV are out of budget, the 7D is the best solution, combined with fast glass. I'd recommend the 70-200 2.8 non IS (Should allow a fast enough shutter using a higher ISO 800-1600) or even faster primes such as the 85 1.8 for the bulk of your Roller Derby work. The 7D will give you 8FPS and extend the reach of your glass. With a properly exposed and processed image it is difficult to tell them apart from FF until you either push the ISO or print above 16x20. While not optimized for weddings and fine portraiture, it can hold it's own until you start pushing print size. I think the 5DII is a great camera, but feel you will be hindered in sports and action. I shoot with a 7D/battery grip, with two LPE-6 batteries, the combination continually provides 3K plus RAW file exposures per charge.</p>

<p>The 7D should work fine. I actually bought one when my 1DIIN developed a fault (it is back now) and found the 7D performs about as well as the 1DIIN. It is slightly noisier than the 1DIIN but the extra pixels allow you to recover detail. It is good at ISO 1600 and very usable (with care) at ISO 3200. With the 7D you have to make sure you nail the exposure. I have used my 5DII for indoor sports (ice hockey) as there is an arena I go to once a year that is LV 6.5 (1/400 f2.8 ISO 4000 and 1/3 comp). In this dark arena I find the 5DII is better. The problem with the 5DII is that it's AF system struggles a bit more than the 7D with fast targets in low light. I have the 5DII, 7D and 1DIIN - of these three I usually use the 7D for indoor sports. I decided to pass on the 1DIII but may yet move to the IV.<br>

I agree with Randall on lenses - the 70-200 F2.8 non IS is a low (ish) priced lens that is great for indoor sports</p>