Could i have damaged my 40D?

<p>Hi folks</p>

<p>I'm just having a minor, bordering on major panic at the moment. I was reformating a couple of memory cards this morning, in-between cards i thought i'd switched off my 40D but i hadn't .... I just wasn't paying proper attention (half asleep still, up too late last night, up too early this morning!), i had only thumbed the power switch from the main control dial setting to the 'on' setting, i hadn't switched-off my 40D .... So with my camera inadvertedly still on i actually changed memory cards! I know that doing this is a general no-no and i am kicking myself very hard and fretting much about 'have i damaged my camera'? </p>

<p>As far as i can tell both cards and the camera seem ok .... I've shot an image on both cards and then reformated each card again, remembering to switch-off properly this time! As i said, all seems well .... Could there be some harm done though that isn't apparent just yet? Could i have damaged something (card, camera, or both?) even though nothing is glaringly/alarmingly obvious yet? </p>

<p>Still kicking myself! <br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>My understanding is that it's remotely possible you could have corrupted some of the files on the card in a worst-case scenario, but if so it would be immediately obvious when you tried to view the files. No way you could have damaged the camera.</p>

<p>I think it is generally good practice to switch the camera off before inserting or removing cards and batteries, and if you remove a card that is still being written to, then you will lose some images. That said, I occasionally forget to switch off, and have never had the slightest problem as a result.</p>

<p>However, I never switch off when changing lenses, which I do quite a lot. Again, this has never caused me any problem across a succession of EOS bodies starting with the EOS-1 in 1990, and more than twenty different lenses.</p>

<p>So, relax, you're fine, as Jos and Matt have already said.</p>

<p>The one time when you do need to be very careful to follow procedure to the letter is when updating firmware. Fortunately, that's a realtively infrequent task.</p>

<p>We all have voted, no panic needed, as soon as you open the door and click the button to remove memory the camera flashes red light which is a shutdown protection safety , i have done it many times although your not suppose to, its the memory that is can fail or maybe loose a pic or a bunch but if you have the software to recover the lost ones which comes with the higher end memory its still no big deal. </p>