Best archival print material from digital?

<p>I've been using the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome process for years from Large Format transparencies. Now I have taken to experimenting with large digital files, and am interested in what would be considered the best archival color printing process from digital images.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Timothy Blomquist</p>

<p>The Epson pigment ink printers do as well as any, although other pigment ink (as opposed to dye inks, for just the top of the Google™ see http://www.oddparts.com/ink/faq19.htm ) may do well.</p>

<p>Even Cibachrome type prints don't last forever; nothing with pigments in it is going to.<br /> I suppose the surest way to get archival quality would be to do platinum separation plates on the highest quality archival paper, but I don't know of anybody who is actually going so far (although I'd bet they are out there...). Carbon separation plates would be cheaper, maybe would work nearly as well.</p>

<p>Of course, lately we've been lectured on how crappy our pictures are, so maybe the best idea is to just let them fade away. As Marx said, to subject them to the "gnawing criticism of the mice"</p>

<p>I thought there are (were?) places that make Cibachrome prints from digital files. (I have not personally had this done, but for a somewhat similar look with a print that is probably somewhat more archival than a regular paper RA4 print, Fuji Supergloss paper is an option.) Note also that if you want black and white prints, there are several places that will print your digital files to traditional silver-halide fiber-based paper, which should be very archival. None of this is cheap.</p>

<p>As others indicated, good modern pigment inks on good paper will probably prove to be very archival. I say probably because I'm not willing to assume that some accelerated-aging simulatin test will predict with perfect reliability what will happen fifty or a hundred years from now, but at least some such tests have reasonable scientific bases.</p>

<p>The best source for permanency data on inkjet prints is <a href="http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html"><strong>here</strong></a>. You don't have to pay to access the data but a contribution is recommended to continue this important work. Virtually any of the three big names in printers will give you good results. You can see the how each performs with different papers. The tradeoffs are basically a smaller color gamut with matte papers and the need to pay attention to which papers have optical brightening agents that can decay with time.</p>