Yellowstone, where to stay?

claus_cheng

<p>I would like to stay 10-12 days in the park.<br>

Where are the best places to stay overnight (lodges or cabins)?<br>

I want stay 5 days in the southern area and the other days in the northern area of YS).<br>

I would like to shoot very early in the morning...<br>

Thanks for help.</p>

<p>Staying in the park is a great for early shooting. But realize that reservations need to be made way in advance, nearly a year for the summer, somewhat less for spring and fall.<br>

There is a wide price range available in the park. Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone Lodge are very nice (and expensive) although I didn't stay in either, just looked around. All lodging in the park is run by the same company, so quality is mostly based on price. The cabins we stayed in were like cheap motel rooms inside, but were fine for me. Being right in the forest was nice.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usparklodging.com/yellowstonenationalparklodging.php">http://www.usparklodging.com/yellowstonenationalparklodging.php</a></p>

<p>Also consider spending some time in Grand Teton NP. People advised me to spend 2/3 in YS and 1/3 in GT, I took their advise and it was about right IMO.</p>

<p>You say you want to spend a lot of time in the north. I think central and southern were more interesting. Mammoth Springs can be seen in one day IMO.</p>

<p>As Matthew noted you need a lot of advanced planning. If you camp you can get lucky and get a spot provided you get in fairly early.<br>

Obviously where to stay will determine a great deal of what you will see. Think of Yellowstone as a giant figure '8' Generally now the east top part of the 8 is best for wildlife, especially wolves, pronghorn, bears, and lots of buffalo (which are all over the park). The lower part of the '8' is where the geysers are, as are most of the people!</p>

<p>Fall 2012: Check the NPS web site for closing dates for the hotels and cabins - prime time for fall foliage is the last week of September - first week of October, and despite this attraction, many will already be closed for the season by then.</p>

<p>You will regret not spending more time in the Tetons. I believe you should split your time 50/50 between the two. The shooting in the Tetons in the Fall will be glorious. Stay in Teton Village outside of Jackson and you will have quick access to early morning shooting. When reserving your room at the Old Faithful Lodge, ask for a geyser view room. Also, note that some rooms do not come with a private bathroom.</p>

<p>You almost can't go wrong on that trip. If you like to shoot very early in the morning your best bet may be to hire a guide for at least a few of the days and backpack. Once you get half a mile off the roads the park is almost entirely deserted: except for bison, grizzly bear and the occasional wolf.<br>

Is this going to be a round trip to SLC? If so, you might consider driving north through Cody, catching the very unique light along the chief joseph highway and coming in to the north entrance. Coming down through Grand Teton for early light you will again want to camp, as the alpine lakes and open views are 5-10 miles upcountry from the lodges.<br>

Heading south through the park is a very accessible, beautiful and mostly deserted preserve donated by the Rockefellers. I don't think that you can get in too early, but the Rockefellers did get the prettiest little lake in the park.<br>

Finally, coming south to SLC you will pass Bear Lake, definitely worth a stop for its turqoise water against the red desert, and the very rugged Cache national forest.</p>

<p>As someone who has been there recently (May end). I would second the suggestion that staying within the park is really awesome. See if you can get some campground bookings as there are some last minute cancellations.<br>

When I was there Bison were plenty and we did see a Bear. It did snow so we couldn't do lot of hikes but we did manage to take in some majestic white snow scenes.<br>

I have posted some images here http://nationalparksimages.blogspot.com/2011/05/yellowstone-national-park.html</p>

<p> </p><div>00YxL4-373753584.jpg.4740bd02dd7b24e53a6ac070be115c47.jpg</div>

<p>I agree with David Huff, don't miss the Grand Tetons. Just got back from 3 nights in Yellowstone and 6 nights outside of Jackson Hole. IMHO, Tetons were by far more beautiful and less crowded. Stayed in Dunraven Lodge in Canyon area of Yellowstone. It was very central with easy access north to Tower/Roosevelt, Lamar and Mammoth plus not too far from Old Faithful. The lodges were full but didn't feel crowded. Old Faithful was another matter. We were supposed to stay there one night but after visiting Upper Geyser Basin and the hotel during the day, it felt lake Disney World during high season.....horribly crowded and noisy. We were lucky enough to stay an extra night at Canyon and cancel Old Faithful.</p>

<p>The Grand Tetons were simply wonderful. Sunrise and just after when the first light hits the peaks is spectacular. Preferred the hiking there also. Will attempt to post Snake River Overlook at first light.</p>

<p>Have a wonderful time, Zvia</p><div>00YzCq-375923584.jpg.69499361502b8a5d497625227a860142.jpg</div>