The real dangers of turning your back at the track

paulie_smith1

<p>An example of why facilities limit access. It happens so quickly that often you don't have time to react, especially if you're eye to viewfinder looking elsewhere. I've been fortunate, but that's as much about luck as it is staying alert. Be mindful of track direction when taking inside positions on Motocross or GoKart tracks and train yourself to listen while shooting, sudden changes in engine pitch/acceleration can indicate loss of traction and an inbound vehicle. </p>

<p>I don't recall the venue but a decade or so ago a video shooter at a car race was killed when a car which had passed his position lost a tire. The airborne tire hit the back of his head on the side where he could not see the track due to the position of the video camera.</p>

<p>I shoot with both eyes open <em><strong>ALL THE TIME</strong></em>. IMO you should too.</p>

<p>Henry Posner</p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

• 2 weeks later...

<p>sport photography have risks, specially involving engines (cars, motorcycles, boats etc) , if you are there it is because you want the shot, and in a dramatic way, you expect that something wrong occur, and that is the shot, is like to be a war photojournalist ... chances are ... is not always safe.</p>

best