DIY underwater housing for SLR?

<p>How deep do you want to go? if it is more than a few metres or so I would have to say forget it - and to pour more cold water on you don't need an SLR as you won't be able to use the viewfinder. What I have done in the past is to take a cheap kids diving mask, the sort with a rubber body, glass/perspex front and a metal band holding the rubber to the window. Undo the band insert the camera into the mask and then put a heavy durty plastic bag over the outside before putting the metal band back on over the bag and mask. Then check if it is watertight!<br>

If you have a leak the thing will wreck your camera, so now I don't bother, I use a Pentax waterproof digital camera - it only cost me 30GBP on eBay.. <br>

As another alternative both Fuji and Kodak waterproof single use cameras are available still which would be a better option IMHO. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Geez! Don't DIY a dive housing. While I'm sure it can be done well, if you are doing it for a project and have the tools, skill and resources; well maybe. If you are doing it to save money—don't. There are waterproof digital dive cameras from not too much up to pro gear for deep diving. I'd buy a camera that would meet my needs at whatever level of sophistication I need andthen . . . get wet.</p>