Very dark to near-black images

gfkremer

<p>My old workhorse, Canon's 1D MKIII suddenly won't take properly exposed images by a long shot. The image is almost black with a few dim features barely visible.<br>

I have changed the SD card, reformatted the card, check the firmware update and ran the camera's "sensor cleaning" feature several times. I have checked and cleaned the camera-to-lens connections. The EXIF data shows that the lens is shooting at the various settings I have set them to. I have shot in P, AV, TV and Manual and all results are the same. I overexposed a few images by +3EV, but it seems to make no difference in the image.<br>

The camera body only has about 7,500 shutter clicks on it.<br>

I used it as my second body on 05-21-11 and it performed fine. I was checking it tonight and this problem suddenly arose. Any help will be greatly appreciated!<br>

GF Kremer</p>

See if it is an exposure on lens issue. Try using the sunny F16 rule and manual settings with two different lenses to

see what happens. As Scott says post some EXIF data and describe the light when the shot was taken. You can also

check the CF card and see what that shows - I suggest that you set the camera to write RAW and JPEG to both cards

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions. I did reload the firmware and that went fine. I shot with 2 different lenses; Canon16-35 f/2.8L and Canon 24-105 f/4L. Same problem with both lenses. When shooting in Live View I was seeing essentially what was going on the card; a very dark to near black image with odd red and green fringing on objects like bright lamps. I also took a shot outside using the 24-105 set to f/4 at 1/320th and ISO 100. It is near black. When pushed in CS% Bridge up 4 stops, more of the image is visible. Posting these here.</p>

<p>Your EXIF data looks normal so I think you have a sensor or processing fault in your camera. You mention that the live view also shows the same problem so this sort of confirms this.<br>

I'm afraid the camera will have to go to the camera doctor at Canon. Good luck.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thanks to all that responded. Yes, it was the sensor not being able to talk to the processor that was the problem. I spoke with Canon and I shipped the body out to be looked at and repaired. Exactly 1 week later it was back in my hands, fixed, cleaned, calibrated and ready to go! Well worth my yearly Canon Professional Services membership fee.</p>