Should I buy a Canon 5D or a Nikon D7000?

johnny_m1

<p>Dave, no, I must not be serious because this is not a serious discussion at all. It's actually a silly one. But since you ask, it helps tremendously to mention "classic" or something else once in the beginning of the post and later refer to it as simply a 5Dc or 5D[something]. Read my postings above, and you'll see that's how I tend to make life easier for the OP and other readers to understand my post. I guess I could also refer to them as 5D1 and 5D2, but then esteemed individuals like you probably will shoot it down and say there is no such thing as a 5D Mark 1.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Try this...... I have a Canon 5D. I have a Canon 5DMk2. Can you tell them apart?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can. You can. But can the same be said for others in the audience of all levels? You write for your audience in general, not for yourself or the minority. If I gave the advice that the 5D has an outstanding recall for its mirror assembly, isn't it better for the general audience to know that I am talking about the older version 5D and not the current 5D Mark II? Hence, the usefulness of the made-up designation, whatever it may be.</p>

<p>"Classic" because it's special? You said that. I didn't.</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>John, I agree, consumer, low-end glass of Nikon was and <em>is</em> sharper, both 50mm are better, 35/1.8G is sharper than 35/2 canon and many more. Canon has a huge range of lenses and does not hurry up to improve the whole range of lenses. There are some jems though that must be carefully selected (like 135/2L). 85 mm are both good, 100mm is good. Even with 7000 one can take stunning portraits, no problems it is no FF, just attach the new 85/1.4G or a micro-NIkkor 60/2.8G - shoot RAW and all. 7000 is a more capable camera. 5D is somewhat weak as a camera now. And it has no focusing correction (fine - tunung) ? 7000 - is a choise. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I like the line of Pentax that Joseph gave, way way before discussing the word 'classic'. If I were not invested into a system these days, i would very seriously look at Pentax, their current line-up is very tempting and they've got some mighty nice primes.</p>

<p>Whether Canon or Nikon has sharper lenses is a silly debate. Both have some epic lenses. Both have some seriously mediocre lenses. Both some bargains, some overpriced items. You should judge lens for lens, brand-wide statements have really no value whatsoever.</p>

<p>Yes, that does not answer the D7000 versus 5D. It's a silly shortlist. How about the EOS60D? Not too shabby either. Go try out some Canons and some Nikons, you'll know soon enough what works for you.</p>