Canon Rebel T3i versus Canon Powershot SX30IS

<p>I have recently purchased the Canon Rebel T3i and I do like it but I have some concerns. I purchased at Chrsitmas the Canon Powershot SX30IS and while testing it I noticed that it made my childrens' faces yellow, my shutters in my house were yellow-orange and my cream floor, orange. This was all in automatic mode. A lot of people have told me to change the white balance but I can't do this if I want to stay in auto mode. I returned this camera to the store. Now that I have the Rebel T3I I have noticed that it is also making my white shutters yellow-orange and my cream floor orange. Have I made a mistake by purchasing this SLR? <br>

Also, with regards to the Powershot SX30IS, I really liked it's features, I liked the 35X zoom and I really liked the fact that I could stamp the photo automatically. But, I did not like the fact that my childrens' faces were yellow. (It is important to know that my friend purchased the very same camera and the same thing was happening to her.) I realize that my Rebel T3I has less features, that the lens that comes with the camera really doesn't zoom at all and that it doesn't stamp the date on the picture automatically. Once again, I am asking myself if I have made the right decision by purchasing this SLR. <br>

In order for you to be able to answer this question adequately, you need to know that I like a camera that shoots fast and that has sharp, clear and crisp pictures. What's more important, lots of zoom, lots of features, a camera that stamps the picture and yellow shots for the majority, or, clear shots, some orange shots, faster shots, practically no zoom and no date stamp? I am quite confused?<br>

Thanks ever so much for answering this question. It is greatly appreciated! </p>

<p>If you could post an example with a face it would help. Don't use "save for web", then the EXIF data will be intact and it will help diagnose the problem.</p>

<p>Auto White Balance is not perfect. But, for a typical scene, it will get it close enough for most people. Setting the white balance manually will usually give better results, however, if you forget to set it correctly, JPEGs will come out terrible. That is why most casual shooters should use AWB.</p>

<p>If AWB is not good enough for you, you should learn to shoot RAW, then you can adjust the white balance afterwards.</p>

<p>If your scene is predominantly one color, AWB can be way off. A close-up picture I took of a very yellow orchid came out pale yellow using AWB. Since it was taken with RAW, I was able to fix it.</p>

<p>You might try simply changing the white balance to tungsten (lightbulb) setting for your indoor shooting without flash. (However this wouldn't apply under florescent lights, which emit a different color temperature). To access this you need to be in the "P" mode on your mode dial. The difference between "P" and "Auto" mode is simply that P opens more menu options for you. It will still give you the same automatic supports as Auto mode. But you will need to be more cautious about leaving manual white balance settings unchanged between shooting sessions in different lighting, because P Mode settings are stored after the camera is turned off. You might find that studying the features of your camera beyond Auto mode addresses some helpful ways to make your camera do what you want it to do. </p>

<p>This is a bit surprising to me, as most of these entry SLR cameras seem to default to popping up the flash for inside shots when in auto mode. The white balance problems that you are describing appear to be related to non-flash shots where the white balance is incorrect. If that is the problem, the only solution is for you to learn how to set the white balance accurately (either in-camera, in RAW post processing, or both). You could keep exchanging the camera, but, in general, Canon doesn't have good auto white balance for indoor shots under ordinary household incandescents. </p>

<p>Your household lights, incandescent lights, will make everything appear yellowish or orange. Normally, your camera's auto-white balance should correct for this, but apparently something is fooling its little brain. You can see the results instantly in your preview LCD on the back of the camera. If it doesn't look correct, set your camera's white balance to tungsten when shooting with incandescent lights. If you shoot in RAW, regardless of the white balance setting on your camera, you can fix the white balance after the fact using the software that came with your camera.</p>

<p>Canon engineers like WB on the warm side (hence yellowish skin under incandescent lights). Some folks prefer it this way for the warm romantic vibe. You and I do not. If you prefer a cooler look you have 2 choices: use fill flash to nix the incandescent lights off faces or dial in your own WB. Personally I prefer to shoot RAW and adjust WB in post production to taste. I often use layers and adjust ambient WB differently from flash and blend for a natural look.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I am far from being a professional but I'm curious why anyone would want the old-fashioned date/time stamp ON the image? The Exif data, included in your file, has the date/time in addition to lots of other things. Most photo processing houses will put a date/time stamp on the BACK of the print for you if asked.<br>

The T camera has a larger sensor than the point and shoot so you should get better images, especially in low light.<br>

Practice. Go to the coffee shop by yourself, look at your manual, try some shots. You can learn a LOT by doing this.<br>

Good luck</p>

<p>[[Canon engineers like WB on the warm side (hence yellowish skin under incandescent lights).]]</p>

<p>Indeed. In review after review of Canon cameras, you will see that indoor Auto WB selection tends to the "warm" side of things. This is trivial to correct for when shooting RAW but if you prefer JPG, you will achieve better results by, at the least, selecting a pre-configured WB setting.</p>

<p>[[n order for you to be able to answer this question adequately, you need to know that I like a camera that shoots fast and that has sharp, clear and crisp pictures.]]<br>

Cameras are not thinking machines. They don't know what you want to see vs what I want to see. You will need to leave Auto and begin taking control of some aspects of your images. It's not difficult, it's not a big deal, and it will put you on the path to making /better/ photographs. But you need to take the first step. A hammer does not build a house, nor does a camera create photographs. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your camera is in control, but to get great photos, you need to be in control. Stop using automatic settings. Learn to shoot in RAW. Set the white balance in post processing (like DPP). You'll end up with great photos and never think about the SX30IS again.</p>